Recommend a Tyre Lever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
As all recumbent riders will know doubt have experienced, 20" tyres can be an absolute swine to remove and refit. Two levers bit the dust during a recent tube change so I was wondering which ones you more experienced trikers use.

Metal, perhaps?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Pedro's for hard to fit tyres.

Reactions: mjr

wisdom

Guru
I use the wide blue ones from park tools and have never had an issue with fitting any tyre.They are strong with no flex.A bit of talc may help

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Bontrager red levers seem tough (metal core) and widely available. I'm still using decade-old revolution levers from Edinburgh Bicycles. 20" on a folder rather than a 'bent, in case it matters.

Jason

Park tools x 3 pack, NEVER let me down

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies, I'm tossing up between the Pedros and the Bontragers at the moment but I'm also tempted by the metal X-Tools levers. Just a bit worried about damaging the alloy rims, should I be?

My Park Tools TL4 levers both let me down badly a couple of weeks ago, both snapped at the lightest pressure!

Replaced with a pair of Pedros on the recommendation of @fossyant :okay:

Thankfully I haven't had to use them in anger yet but they feel the part.

FWIW the tyre that defeated the TL4's was sorted after walking home with a pair of very old generic plastic levers, the type you get in a cheapo puncture repair kit, go figure :wacko:

It's as much to do with technique as lever strength.
I agree.
The only tyres I've had trouble fitting where new M+'s.
Most others I can fit single handed without levers.

I normally have more trouble after fitting tyres with the flat spot where the tyre hasn't fully popped out onto the rim.
I've learnt that a light coating of soft soap on the inside of the rims helps a lot with this.

Top Bottom