Recommend a women's breathable reflective jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
My daughter commutes to work and wants a commuter jacket

List of requirements
  • breathable
  • black with masses of reflectives OR on of those silver grey 360 degree reflective hobbies
  • women's version (probably)
  • would consider a softshell style
The seriously reflective ones seem to be boil in the bag

Fire away!

Sharky

Guru
Best reflective kit are slap bands round the ankles. From a distance, they really show up as the feet go up and down.

To make existing jackets more reflective, you can get stick on refective tape which is a very cost effective solution.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Altura Night Vision.
I've got 2 black ones, they have lots of reflective details, add a Sam Browne belt in dark/dull conditions.
For me, a base layer or general mid weight long sleeved top is enough under the Night Vision most of winter.
When it's freezing add another layer.
It's waterproof from new for a good half dozen downpours, I then re-proof it Nixwax.
True to size, relaxed fit for adding extra layers underneath, absolutely not boil in the bag.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
There is no solution!

Reflectives are good but have a huge flaw. They work well if in the direct light beam, but once you are in the periphery or even in front of a vehicle using dipped lights (like the majority of cars in an urban environment) they do not really light up like you would hope. I have done this experiment myself (cue much prancing around in front of the car at night by Mrs Skol while wearing my sample jackets) and found that only being caught in the full beam reflected any light in an appreciable way.

Pedal or ankle reflectors will be the best as these are moving and also more likely to be caught by the dipped headlights. The most efficient means of being spotted has to be decent bike likes. This MUST NOT mean cheap, dazzling super-Lumen Chinese lights but an effective, well angled light that is bright enough to be seen without being retina burning.

Unfortunately this is still no guarantee. My bike lights fall somewhere in the middle between the wet candle LED and the Super Nova explosion bike light and I still experience many drivers simply failing to register my approach even when on an otherwise empty road.

By far the biggest risk to cyclist's is not when directly in front of a vehicle's headlights but when approaching from the side, I.E at junctions or roundabouts.

Tell her to ride defensively and expect EVERYONE to try and kill her. Sorry, but it is the truth!

EDIT: Forgot to make the point I had intended to highlight. If they are not looking the they will not see you, regardless of what you wear or which lights you use!

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
One winter, when commuting, I rode with a couple of rear red lights AND a BLUE flashing rear light. I know technically illegal, but really effective. I was stopped a couple of times by moterists, commenting how effective they were and asking where they could get them from.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
One winter, when commuting, I rode with a couple of rear red lights AND a BLUE flashing rear light. I know technically illegal, but really effective. I was stopped a couple of times by moterists, commenting how effective they were and asking where they could get them from.
I do see the occasional night time cyclist riding with flashing white and flashing red lights on the front and back. :wacko: Highly illegal but also highly effective, purely for the abnormality of the situation that catches the attention of motorists.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Howies perhaps. I have their white one but it comes in black too.

Julia9054

Guru
I had a Proviz one that was extremely reflective and also had battery powered lights in it which made me look like Tron!
Unfortunately, the slightest movement also turned me into a human puddle. After the pocket zip stuck fast with my keys inside and I had to attack it with scissors, it went in the bin.

Broadside

Guru
The Proviz products are pretty much the most visible available but I don’t think they do breathable stuff. I’ve got a Switch 360 gilet for poor light conditions.

I have seen a number of pedestrians and cyclists wearing Proviz jackets and gloves and they stand out amazingly well. I don’t know how long it lasts but it is incredibly relflective, some of the best stuff I have seen.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I'd forget about breathable. From what I've read over the years, even the very best gore tex jackets can be boil in the bag like.
Pit zips on the other hand are brilliant things for ventilation.

Top Bottom