Recommend a women's breathable reflective jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've never found a decent breathable florrie, so prefer to wear the jacket of my choice and then adorn it with reflective Sam Brown belt or hi vis bib as required. When one rides with a rucksack one let's the rucksack where the hi via instead.

Commuter jackets seem to be an odd category for the cycling industry.
Many are packable and too ultralight for a jacket that is usually worn everyday rather than carried.
The more durable ones are waterproof which is less breathable than windproof.
The insistance on racing style rear pockets is strange when commuters carry stuff in bags.
Paramo are usually good for durable windproofs but their Ostro windproof is too ultralight and they insist on permanent hoods that cannot be stashed inside the collar.
The colour choice seems to be between Elf and Safety lime green or Ninja black.

Brains

Legendary Member
Have a look at the Foska range of jackets.
https://www.foska.com/
I've gone through three of them over the last 15+ years or so - all very good.
Warm, water resistant, eye-catching.

Good quality lights fore and aft on a commuter bike are essential

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Nothing is truly breathable for cycling, unless you cycle so slowly that you barely sweat. Once that's out of the way, you can decide whether you want to get wet from the outside or the inside! A lot depends on the length of your commute and whether there are showers and clothes drying facilities at the other end. We have the former but not the latter, so avoiding clothes becoming sodden trumps getting a bit sweaty.

R25

Regular
Altura Night Vision.
I've got 2 black ones, they have lots of reflective details, add a Sam Browne belt in dark/dull conditions.
For me, a base layer or general mid weight long sleeved top is enough under the Night Vision most of winter.
When it's freezing add another layer.
It's waterproof from new for a good half dozen downpours, I then re-proof it Nixwax.
True to size, relaxed fit for adding extra layers underneath, absolutely not boil in the bag.
Agree with the Altura, best I have worn.

One winter, when commuting, I rode with a couple of rear red lights AND a BLUE flashing rear light. I know technically illegal, but really effective. I was stopped a couple of times by moterists, commenting how effective they were and asking where they could get them from.
Hopefully, not for their cars???

My daughter commutes to work and wants a commuter jacket

List of requirements
  • breathable
  • black with masses of reflectives OR on of those silver grey 360 degree reflective hobbies
  • women's version (probably)
  • would consider a softshell style
The seriously reflective ones seem to be boil in the bag

Fire away!
I have one of the Boardman 'silver-grey 360'
Agreed, yes it is fairly warm, but, the sleeves come off, with zips, to convert to a gilet

Obviously, I've not seen me wearing it, but have seen other riders wearing similar, & they're great from any angle
Downside is, if you wear it during the day, it's too dull, or catches the Sun, & dazzles??

I wore mine yesterday, to ride to work, leaving home at 10:30, so it was dull
That said, I was leaving the Hospital, at 20:00, the same time as all of the visitors were leaving, so cars everywhere...…………

Just draped over a kitchen chair, & by iPhone 'flash'
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/cy...EkGI2aAB0xt1TW9BUEb1PvNj1HyfKbK-LAi1adhrOlQCo

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10215509885412551&set=a.10215155713598477&type=3&theater

I also invested in some new lights from Halfords recently, after my SMART(?) lights started to play up
Lower seat-pin, & seat-stay
Lighting. 5.JPG

43188984_10215705505542932_4674572396999475200_n.jpg

Top Bottom