Recommend me a bike stand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
I want a bike stand. Some look a bit flimsy. A lot look overpriced for the quality of the parts. A recommendation would be good. Signposting to a used one even better. :smile:

My bike came without one.
I bought one

It was a disaster
I've spent most of the last two years without one.

There is a sort of morality in this

C R

Guru
I've had this one for about six years and has served me very well

https://www.elite-it.com/en/products/accessories/maintenance/workstand-team/

This looks the same. Tenner cheaper too. http://tinyurl.com/3j6sydba

Sold under lots of labels, including Lidl and Aldi. More than adequate for the job

Yup. I've had mine at least 10 years now and love it despite - handlebar strap connector failed (easy fix with a tie wrap), tool tray lost plus one of the plastic feet snapped off. I use it most often to hold the bike when washing it as it easy to walk around and spot bits I missed.

biketrailerguy

A recommendation would be good.

I have two stands, and my (much) preferred one is a Park tools prs 3.3? model with the large, heavy steel plate base. This is a shop stand and normally, well outside the £ range for mortals like me, but it was a 'thank you' for helping someone years ago.
If the arm / clamp arrangement on the other PT stands mentioned here is the same as mine, then that'd be a big plus imo.
Compared with the other (folding) stand I have, I also prefer my PT layout as there are no legs to trip over or take up space in confined areas.
My PT stand is useless, of course if someone wants one that can be folded / packed away when not needed.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I must admit, for a home user, probably using it once a week or so at most, I cannot imagine how it can be worth paying 8-10 times as much.

Mine has lasted 4 years so far, and is showing no signs that it won't last many more years.

Yes, I can understand that, and it's a perfectly reasonable POV.

However, having had two much cheaper ones break in the past, and owning a hefty tandem, I've found:

- The Park one is *much* more rigid than the cheapos.
- the clamping mechanism is far better
- a tandem can be easily supported
- spares for every bit are available if it does break.

So for me, it's worth it. Vimes boots kind of thing.

Alex321

Veteran
Yes, I can understand that, and it's a perfectly reasonable POV.

However, having had two much cheaper ones break in the past, and owning a hefty tandem, I've found:

So for me, it's worth it. Vimes boots kind of thing.

With a tandem, I can believe the extra sturdiness/rigidity matters. They weigh rather a lot more than a regular single road bike.

biketrailerguy

Ditto for me.
Whilst I don't have a tandem, I've modified a quantity of ex-hire Ebikes over the last few months and the extra rigidity (compared to my other stand) has been a welcome feature.

Gwylan

Veteran
My bike came without one.
I bought one

It was a disaster
I've spent most of the last two years without one.

There is a sort of morality in this

Doh! I have realised that the discussion is about a work stand for the bike.

Now I do have one of those - the German shop model. Works very well.
Rescued from a summer Youff project. The tool tray and the wheel holder thingie are but a fond memory.
Hides easily in the roof of the workshop when not in use.

Mike_P

Guru
I rarely use my Lidl one. The rear yard normally has a persistent wind across it meaning a bike on it is usually not fixed on one position. For sorting the gears out I use a chain stay prop stand. For anything else its typically the bike upside down on rubber mats.

Fredo76

Über Member
I like my BikeHand work stand. The quality and usefulness seem worth the $99, but I don't know if it's sold over there. Tandems might be a bit unwieldy for it, but it's rated to 55 lbs., and works well for me.

IMG_4472.JPG

Top Bottom