Recommend me a breakmaker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Have now got a kitchen large enough to store a breadmaker.
But what kind to buy...

Sometimes I may use it just to knead the dough, but sometimes I will use it to bake the whole loaf, and I think I would use a timer setting to wake up to the smell of fresh bread. I'd like something that can handle additions like raisins etc, in case I get fancy ambitions.

So, any particular brand/model to recommend?
Or perhaps just as importantly - any to avoid?

Thanks all.
Spinney

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
You had me going there, i did not know what a breakmaker was.:whistle:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I use the Panasonic 255, a fantastic machine. Not the cheapest on the market but having owned a couple of lower end machines (Lidl do a decent one for £29.99) the difference is night and day. I use mine three times a week and wouldn't take shop loaf if it was free.

GC

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Bread makers are just another claim on the work surface real estate.

I've been offered several by folk who have grown tired of the novelty of kitchens smelling like bakeries.

I've been tempted to accept an offer until reminded of the presence of the new but unused slow cooker lurking in a cupboard

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have a previous model of the Panasonic one ... (no raisin dispenser on mine) but it is still going strong after a lot of use, though not daily. I mostly use it to produce dough rather than bread. Basically when I was buying the Panasonic one was the clear leader, that was nearly 10 years ago I think, there may be other contenders now. My sister does use her's daily as her son has a milk allergy.

Arch

Married to Night Train
My Mum has never been able to make bread by hand, it always turns out like bricks, so she gave up.

A few years back, when several of her friends raved about breadmakers, she got one.

It blew up.

(Can't remember the brand, she got it from Lakeland, and to their credit, they replaced it tout suite and hassle free. But even the replacement never made decent bread. She gave up again.)

CharlesF

Guru
You don't need a machine, making bread by hand is easy and therapeutic. I make two loafs a week - wholewheat, white, rye or multigrain. Plus I often make a more fancy bread, like Chelsea buns or a brioche

Reactions: GBC

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Elderly Panasonic has worked a treat. Also get electronic scales: you need to measure accurately and you'll want to do it fast so the effort of doing it each day is small. Also keep your flour in an airtight container so it doesnt absorb air moisture and end up giving you bread with the wrong moisture content.

Top Bottom