Recommend me a breakmaker

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Spinney, 17 Jul 2012.

1. Spinney

Spinney Bimbleur extraordinaire

Have now got a kitchen large enough to store a breadmaker.
    But what kind to buy...

Sometimes I may use it just to knead the dough, but sometimes I will use it to bake the whole loaf, and I think I would use a timer setting to wake up to the smell of fresh bread. I'd like something that can handle additions like raisins etc, in case I get fancy ambitions.

So, any particular brand/model to recommend?
    Or perhaps just as importantly - any to avoid?

Thanks all.
    Spinney

2. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

You had me going there, i did not know what a breakmaker was.:whistle:

snorri likes this.
  3. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

I use the Panasonic 255, a fantastic machine. Not the cheapest on the market but having owned a couple of lower end machines (Lidl do a decent one for £29.99) the difference is night and day. I use mine three times a week and wouldn't take shop loaf if it was free.

GC

4. Oxo

Oxo Veteran

Panasonic are good. Used one for several years and always get good, consistant results.

5. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Panasonic.

6. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Resistance is futile! Moderator

Panasonic for me too. Had it six years, never put a foot wrong.

7. vernon

vernon Harder than Ronnie Pickering

Bread makers are just another claim on the work surface real estate.

I've been offered several by folk who have grown tired of the novelty of kitchens smelling like bakeries.

I've been tempted to accept an offer until reminded of the presence of the new but unused slow cooker lurking in a cupboard

TransientStates likes this.
  8. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Moderator

I have a previous model of the Panasonic one ... (no raisin dispenser on mine) but it is still going strong after a lot of use, though not daily. I mostly use it to produce dough rather than bread. Basically when I was buying the Panasonic one was the clear leader, that was nearly 10 years ago I think, there may be other contenders now. My sister does use her's daily as her son has a milk allergy.

9. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

My Mum has never been able to make bread by hand, it always turns out like bricks, so she gave up.

A few years back, when several of her friends raved about breadmakers, she got one.

It blew up.

(Can't remember the brand, she got it from Lakeland, and to their credit, they replaced it tout suite and hassle free. But even the replacement never made decent bread. She gave up again.)

10. CharlesF

CharlesF Veteran

You don't need a machine, making bread by hand is easy and therapeutic. I make two loafs a week - wholewheat, white, rye or multigrain. Plus I often make a more fancy bread, like Chelsea buns or a brioche

GBC likes this.
  11. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Go down to Tescos.

Buy a loaf of bread.

Take it home and eat it.

Five minute wonder, car boot sales will be over-run with them soon.

Beebo likes this.
  12. colly

colly Re member eR

Panasonic. Bought for us as a chrissy present ........ooooh years ago. Still going strong.:thumbsup:

13. bof

bof Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please

Elderly Panasonic has worked a treat. Also get electronic scales: you need to measure accurately and you'll want to do it fast so the effort of doing it each day is small. Also keep your flour in an airtight container so it doesnt absorb air moisture and end up giving you bread with the wrong moisture content.

14. swee'pea99

swee'pea99 Legendary Member

Worth looking on ebay. It's the kind of thing people get, barely use, then want rid of.

15. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

You could always move to France. Saunter down to the shop and buy fresh bread each morning and afternoon. Amazing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice