Recommend me a coffee grinder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I've got a Krups GVX231 burr grinder. The switch hasn't packed up yet.

View attachment 637339
I have this one and is really good and very adjustable. The only thing to watch is the button, which is quite easy to push in too far, if you are a bit heavy handed.

Mine now has a strip of selotape across it, to stop it falling inside the casing

stephec

Legendary Member
I have one of these - Gaggia
View attachment 637289

https://productz.com/en/gaggia-mdf/p/X6z5A
(no - not a pic of mine or doilies)
It's excellent - built like a tank - weighs as much as some folks' bikes maybe

Mega range of settings, though I mainly use just 2 - one for the gaggia classic and another for the stove-top.

Costs rather a lot - brought mine back from Italy when airline weight limits were more generous - got it cheap from a supermarket.

Will probably last you a lifetime though and you can buy bags of beans cheap from Lidl -quite often on offer.

Recommended as is all Gaggia old stuff - more like heavy engineering than kitchen tat)

That's what I want.

I was at Gaggia's importers today in Elland and the guy I was speaking to reckoned that their £100 grinder wasn't brilliant for a fine espresso grind, and that I'd have to look at their £200 jobbie at least.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
My Sboly is no longer doing the daily grind. A year and 6 days after I bought it, this happened:
P1000840.JPG

I'll try to mend it, but without much expectation. Time for an upgrade, I suppose, possibly a Sage the Smart Grinder Pro.
In the meantime, the Krups has been rescued from the outhouse, as I can switch it on and off by poking it with a non-conductive stick!
We also have (limited) stocks of ground coffee.

Edit: I emailed Sboly support yesterday with the photo and they responded this morning promising to sort it out!
I'm amazed, but we'll see how things pan out; I may have to revise an unfavourable review. :okay:

Edit 2: Sboly support now tell me they don't sell spare parts and it's out of warranty.
So for want of about 50p worth of plastic I have a defunct grinder. Not very impressive customer service.

Last edited:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Heads up for anyone in the market for a decent grinder - the Sage the Smart Grinder Pro has just been reduced by ~£40 in most outlets, bringing it down to around £169.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
My Sboly is no longer doing the daily grind. A year and 6 days after I bought it, this happened:
View attachment 676223
I'll try to mend it, but without much expectation. Time for an upgrade, I suppose, possibly a Sage the Smart Grinder Pro.
In the meantime, the Krups has been rescued from the outhouse, as I can switch it on and off by poking it with a non-conductive stick!
We also have (limited) stocks of ground coffee.

Edit: I emailed Sboly support yesterday with the photo and they responded this morning promising to sort it out!
I'm amazed, but we'll see how things pan out; I may have to revise an unfavourable review. :okay:

Edit 2: Sboly support now tell me they don't sell spare parts and it's out of warranty.
So for want of about 50p worth of plastic I have a defunct grinder. Not very impressive customer service.

You know anyone with a 3D printer by any chance?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Available online - and you can print in a more durable material, too.

Lots like: https://www.surfacescan.co.uk/3d-printing-services/

Top Bottom