Recommend me a coffee grinder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I have a Krups with 2 pots (one for spices) that has no switch.
It grinds when you press the pot after engaging it on the body.
Can't link because I bought it quite a few years ago from a local shop.
Works perfectly on Aldi, Lavazza and Co-op beans.
Finely grind for mocha machines (stove top or electric), loosely grind for the Aldi filter machine ^_^
Loose grinding you say?

Yours in a spirit of utterly childish innuendo, but deserving of firm Moderation, I'd say :laugh:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I was going to treat myself to an espresso machine, and as I tend to do, I got bogged down researching which to buy as there's a vast range of price and quality. Some are very expensive indeed, and having once been given a cheap one which was basically crap I didn't want to get another dud, especially an expensive dud. Anyhow, the advice on the various coffee bore aficionado websites all say to but a good grinder, maybe spending as much on the grinder as the coffee machine. So after a lot of gritting my teeth I spend a couple of hundred quid on a refurbished professional model from fleabay - a mazzer super joly which you might see in a cafe. The guys I bough it off mentioned another pro make every bit as good, which tend to be cheaper on ebay as folk search for "Mazzer" as a brand (sadly don't recall that make)
we

It was a lot of dosh even secondhand (brand new it would have been £700!) but I've never regretted it and the "experts" are right - fresh ground using a decent burr grinder is genuinely better

7 years later I've still not bought the expresso machine and still use this.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
We've had a Kitchenaid one for many years - expensive but precise control of grind size, plus it's very quick. All parts replaceable but we've never needed to change anything, save for the glass beaker for holding the ground coffee. It's far too delicate and breaks easily but fortunately, we have a mug that is an exact fit. They appear to have a redesigned new model with less fragile glass.

newts

Veteran
The kids bought me a Delonghi KG79 (wouldn't win any awards for it's looks), entry level burr grinder. Still available at £50 & gets good reviews in its price band. I got about 3 years out of before it produced it's own burnt smoky aroma. Freshly ground is a much better drink, Aeropress & moka pot were my preferred brewers.

I was going to treat myself to an espresso machine, and as I tend to do, I got bogged down researching which to buy as there's a vast range of price and quality. Some are very expensive indeed, and having once been given a cheap one which was basically crap I didn't want to get another dud, especially an expensive dud. Anyhow, the advice on the various coffee bore aficionado websites all say to but a good grinder, maybe spending as much on the grinder as the coffee machine. So after a lot of gritting my teeth I spend a couple of hundred quid on a refurbished professional model from fleabay - a mazzer super joly which you might see in a cafe. The guys I bough it off mentioned another pro make every bit as good, which tend to be cheaper on ebay as folk search for "Mazzer" as a brand (sadly don't recall that make)
we
View attachment 637346
It was a lot of dosh even secondhand (brand new it would have been £700!) but I've never regretted it and the "experts" are right - fresh ground using a decent burr grinder is genuinely better

7 years later I've still not bought the expresso machine and still use this.
View attachment 637350
I'd look for an old gaggia classic, the metal ones. Not the plastic new ones. And of course you won't have to bother with those mega expensive bean to cup things.

The cheapest 'proper' espresso machine is apparently a modified Gaggia Classic (modded to give 9 bar pressure, for reasons well beyond my comprehension)
I thought my standard gaggia classic was more than 9 bar. Must check.
Cost over £200 donkeys years ago, shipped from Italy.
If used in places like London with hard water you have to use the descaler pretty frequently.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I thought my standard gaggia classic was more than 9 bar. Must check.
Cost over £200 donkeys years ago, shipped from Italy.
If used in places like London with hard water you have to use the descaler pretty frequently.

View: https://youtu.be/txWyLHnuuz0

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Slightly off topic, but somewhat stupidly I clicked on one of those clickbait posts on FB titled 'things you should never put in the fridge' and along with the obvious things such as bread, shoes and children... coffee was listed in both bean and ground form. Apparently a fridge is too humid and it looses its flavour... but most coffee lovers i know do refrigerate their proper coffee, me included. Are we all wrong?

Ta will check out, tho will say that my standard classic produces great espresso, and I tend to trust old school Italian engineering on these things. Am wary of over complicating these things. Re above, I loved my Vespas not just for their style but sheer simplicity.
Slightly off topic, but somewhat stupidly I clicked on one of those clickbait posts on FB titled 'things you should never put in the fridge' and along with the obvious things such as bread, shoes and children... coffee was listed in both bean and ground form. Apparently a fridge is too humid and it looses its flavour... but most coffee lovers i know do refrigerate their proper coffee, me included. Are we all wrong?
I keep my preground and small supply of beans in the fridge. Well sealed. I'd relax. I read something the other day that said veg was good in the fridge (mine is) but not - for some reason - onions.

Top Bottom