Recommend me a decent cheap Bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
What kind of cranks have you got?

Mostly Shimano are pretty good

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I havent got the cranks on this bike yet...I was thinking they need to be long & I want a double front cog set , that is as far as I have got. I know the different manufacturers but which model is ok...I want to go to ebay and search for a good make/model and hopefully pick up a good used one in good order... I can t afford to buy new .

I did an ebay search for 'shimano bottom bracket':
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=Shimano+bottom+bracket

I am unsur ewhich are good bad etc or which size I need...is the size th eouter or inner diamet of the tube?

If say i bought something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-Deore...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

would this fit into my brian Rourke frame? Would I then be able to use any shimano rear mech with it?

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...actually I hav ejust lloked at the bike and I already have a campagnolo headset and seat post on there, so maybe I should kit out the bike in campagnolo stuff..;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
BB axel width's vary widely - some need narrow widths, others wide. My DA chainset has a 103mm axel - rare as hen's teeth, my old 600 is more normal, about 110mm ish, and my MTB 120 something......

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm sure others will put me in my place, but when I needed one I just got on ebay and bought one. Long as you get the right (English/Italian) one, it'll fit. Won't it? Far as I know, BBs are much of a muchness - anything by Shimano or Campagnolo will be fine (as long as you get English).

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

ok thanks...yes English thread I suppose...I mean the brain rourke frame is english so that makes sense. What about the spindle/axle width though? They seem to vary...I am guessing because some bikes have 3 front rings and others just 2 or even just one...I want a double front chain set...so what width is that likely to be?

jay clock

Massive member
you have to buy the chainset first. Then get a bb based upon

Type (eq square taper)
Eng vs Italian 68mm vs73mm
axle length. Not sure how you work this out though

BFTB --

Believe me, if you can avoid square-taper BBs, then do so.

In this day and age you don't need a BB any more...you mentioned Campag, so just get yourself an Ultra-Torque chainset and a pair of outboard bearing cups.

These are a piece of piss to fit -- you only need a 10mm allen key. Explanation:

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/tech/id_4.jsp

The BB is basically built into the chainset... and at this time of year, there are bargains to be had. Ribble are doing Veloce C/S for around £70, plus a tenner for the BB cups. And they do crank lengths up to 175mm.

You'll never want to see a square-taper BB again.

P.H

Über Member
TimDanaher said:
BFTB --
These are a piece of piss to fit -- you only need a 10mm allen key.

Except, as with anything with external bearings, you'll need to get the BB shell refaced before fitting. Might still be worth it, see below...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
What the hell is wrong with a square-taper BB? And did you by any chance note the word CHEAP in the original post? It was in capitals 'n everything...

Still not much help on the length, sorry 'bout that - tho' I'd guess from fossyant's post above that 110 would probably be right...but I'd do a bit more homework before committing to that. You might, eg, email this guy & ask what bike it was on before...and if it turns out to have been a 'normal' British racer, it'll almost certainly fit yours, and be an excellent unit. For a fiver all in, incl p&p. How CHEAP is that?

P.H

Über Member
Back to basics -
Your winter bike and summer bike should be like siblings, the winter bike able to accept the summer bike's castoffs. That way when you fancy a bit of bling spending on the pride and joy, and you will, the winter bike gets an upgrade at the same time.
The only way to do this is to keep all the essentials compatable, basically the same speed and manufacturer. That might be a little dearer originally, in the long term it'll be loads cheaper. For example my chains go through three bikes before the bin, my best bike gets the clean shiney one for a couple of thousand miles, then the tourer gets another few thousand miles use out of it, then the SS runs it till it breaks.

Well Swee'pea, as he clearly stated that he doesn't have any cranks yet, the UT route would solve two problems at once, wouldn't it?

P.H. -- I've actually never had any of the BBs re-faced on any of the bike I've fitted UTs to -- and I've never had any probs. Is it a thing with enamelled frames, I wonder?

Top Bottom