Recommend me a decent set of lights...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For winter/night riding around the £60-£70 mark. Anybody have any lights at this price they'd recommend for regular night riding?

Should I be spending some more?

rusky

CC Addict
There are alot of people who swear by the Magicshine lights from deal extreme.

This is probably worth a read too https://www.cyclechat.net/

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
On road or off road ?
unsure.gif

In town or out in the country - ie with street lights or pitch dark ?
ph34r.gif

How fast might you be travelling ?
Laie_76A.gif

I'm not trying to be awkward but all these factors come in to play when considering suitability of lights.
blink.gif

You can do worse than get some info here. I bought a light from this guy and have been very pleased with it. (of course that particular one is not on his list any more
rolleyes.gif
)

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Food for thought, excellent stuff.

How fast, as fast as possible on the road but probably knowing me, something that I could use off-road too.

Looking at how much some people spend, obviously, I was rather taken aback until I saw the thread you linked Rusky.

Thanks people.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Off road lighting at high speed is where you have to spend serious money-much more than your budget I'm afraid.

I think exposure do a flash/flare set for around about your budget- bright and good to be seen on the roads but they may be limited in very dark conditions

I've never used magicshines but people on here do rate them.

Queenie

I recently bought some Tumble & Fall Pro900L and find them fantastic, nice compact battery (with 4 hours life at a time) and they throw a mighty pool of light. Cost £100 for the front and back set.. bit pricey but full guarantee, great customer service and I'm very pleased with them.

Alexvs

You'll see from that thread linked above dealextreme haven't particularly done well with regards to the T6 light alot ordered from the UK warehouse. Nearly 4 weeks and I had no news about my order so cancelled. Have now spent more and bought a Moon XP500 for £69.99 from Woolly Hat Store. Unfortunately they sold out between this morning when I checked and lunch time when I went to buy but have ordered over the phone as they are expecting a delivery today or tomorrow and will ship as soon as they receive it. Really helpful company.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Okay thanks one and all, much what I feared may be the case regarding mtb lights for offroading. To be honest I don't own an mtb...yet :tongue:.

Will mainly be for road but could be moving pretty quickly, up to around 25mph on the flat?

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
On my best bike I have the flash and flare, they are excellent "See me" lights but nowhere near good enough for until roads.

On my commuter I have 2 of these sets, on rear mounted to the panier rack, and the other either on the saddle bag or light loop on my jacket. I have one front light mounted on top of the bars pointing level, and the second under the bars that is usually on poining slighlty down. 2 packs would just fit into your budget. Great for commuting, not so good for off road though.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-hl-el320-and-tl-ld610-light-set/

Also, MySpokes do the flash and flare recharge set for just under £70

GilesM

Legendary Member
The Hope Vision 1 is a great wee light around about the £80 so may be a bit more than you want to spend, but it's perfect for dark lanes and not too serious off road, and with a set of the very high capacity AA rechargeables (I use 2900mAh ones) it lasts a good time aswell, additionally as it runs on AAs you can carry a normal set of litium AAs as a backup. Dead easy to switch from one bike to another aswell. It has four constant power settings and a flash, 3 and 4 are very bright, for dark lanes I normally use setting two, which you can see from the Hope website gives you over 8hrs with 2700mAh rechargables, I usulally go up to setting 3 for downhill and on the road, and setting 4 for off road and when cars coming towards me stay on full beam, however that is very rare even on setting 2.

http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/1LED_Instructions_Complete.pdf

Price from CRC
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24391

This is the third winter I've used mine, it's still going strong.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Another Hope 1 fan - build quality is super. I have 2, run on level 2 in traffic, with the ability to use the 3-4 off road or pitch black lanes. 2 lights gives you a better light spread, but at twice the cost. The AA's mean I have a bank of chargers at home and work, which charges all my lights.

Also have the T6 Magicshine (MJ808E not the copy) which I ordered in August - took about 3-4 weeks, that's great for off road, but the light goes all over, so needs to be tilted right down for road use, even on low. You can get replacement lenses for them and some US ebay sellers ship some wide angled lenses, that removes the upper spill (dazzling for drivers).

I use Ultra Fire 1000 Lumens CREE XM-L T6 from ebay (about £12 each with no batteries) you'll need batteries and charger.

After a quick look at ebay 2x torches, 4x batteries, 2x chargers, 2x bike fitting is less than £60 if you're careful, with a 2-3 delivery, my last order was 14 day from Hong Kong.

On full gives out about 600 Lumens, and the batter lasts 1 3/4 hours (2400 battery), but I run them on medium, 1 on the road with street lights, and both on country lanes

Top Bottom