Recommend me a gravel bike to replace my MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I have a fleet of bikes, road, tourer, folders and an excellent lightweight MTB from 2003 (a Cannondale F1000SL from 2003). The MTB has had virtually zero use in the past several years (like literally twice) and the headset has now packed up and due to being a HeadShok parts are not available probably without cannibalising
a second hand one that I can't really be stuffed to do

So bearing in mind my off roading is occasional and generally mild to say the least I am looking at a gravel bike (not really sure of the difference between CX/gravel/adventure) with fattish tyres, disks and gearing to winch me up the side of a mountain. Seems there are a lot of them these days with single front ring, which I assume is fine?

Budget £1000 max at a guess. I am assuming that will give me alloy frame and carbon forks.

Really after some guidance on where to start.

vickster

Legendary Member
Merlin Malt, Tiagra, around £700. Not sure on the forks. Lots of disk braked bikes seemingly don’t come with carbon fork

Edit...yes it does
https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-malt-g1-tiagra-gravel-bike-2020-147541.html

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Given that you just stated that your off roading is of a very occasional and mild nature, spending up to £1k on a "gravel" bike, that probably isn't going to get used much anyway, seems like a massive waste of cash. If you just need a working MTB for occasional use when the fancy takes you, why not buy a secondhand rigid 26" of conventional mechanical construction (i.e. cup & cone bearings, square taper BB, threaded headset) so it's sitting there if and when you want to use it, and very little cash is tied up if it doesn't get much use.

rivers

How far can I go?
I have a Felt CX bike (FX series) that I use for off-road adventures. Their gravel/adventure bikes look nice and I've heard good things about them (Breed and Broam are the models I believe).

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've just bought an Orro Terra, aluminium with carbon forks and full 105, for under 900 pounds. Sounds like it would do what you want and you won't see one every day.

A bit of searching on the net shows a few within your budget.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've just bought an Orro Terra, aluminium with carbon forks and full 105, for under 900 pounds. Sounds like it would do what you want and you won't see one every day.

A bit of searching on the net shows a few within your budget.
Are the still using pressfit bottom brackets? There were plenty of reports of bad ones on earlier models, but maybe they’ve changed?

Top Bottom