Recommend me a gravel bike to replace my MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigMeatball

This morning I was walking about and went into evans cycles. I saw a pinnacle arkose A8 2020. I don't know the specs or anything, but it's below £1000 and oh my god did it look good! All black, classy, slick as hell. Not going to lie, it gave me a semi.

vickster

Legendary Member
This morning I was walking about and went into evans cycles. I saw a pinnacle arkose A8 2020. I don't know the specs or anything, but it's below £1000 and oh my god did it look good! All black, classy, slick as hell. Not going to lie, it gave me a semi.
Basic groupset and 8 speed hub gearing

Kajjal

Guru
The advice I would give is think about the on and off road gear ratios you need. Also look at tyre clearance, 38mm is really the minimum to smooth out off road trails and provide plenty of grip. As on a mountain bike hydraulic brakes work very well. If you are confident have a look at second hand bikes as some have barely been ridden.

simon.r

Person
I have a fleet of bikes, road, tourer, folders and an excellent lightweight MTB from 2003 (a Cannondale F1000SL from 2003). The MTB has had virtually zero use in the past several years (like literally twice) and the headset has now packed up and due to being a HeadShok parts are not available probably without cannibalising
a second hand one that I can't really be stuffed to do

So bearing in mind my off roading is occasional and generally mild to say the least I am looking at a gravel bike (not really sure of the difference between CX/gravel/adventure) with fattish tyres, disks and gearing to winch me up the side of a mountain. Seems there are a lot of them these days with single front ring, which I assume is fine?

Budget £1000 max at a guess. I am assuming that will give me alloy frame and carbon forks.

Really after some guidance on where to start.

I’ve been down a similar route over the last few weeks. A few of my thoughts, in no particular order:

CX bikes tend to have relatively tight clearances. I *think* that for racing they’re limited to 33mm tyres - but may be wrong. They also tend to have more road than MTB based geometry.

1x (single ring) are fine, but gearing range varies significantly between models. Check chainring / cassette carefully (or be prepared to change to suit your requirements). Obviously nothing wrong with a conventional 2x set up.

Many disc specific frames will take 650b wheels with big tyres or 700c wheels with smaller tyres.

SRAM seems to be the more common groupset provider (maybe because Shimano’s GRX groupset is relatively new?)

There’s a wide range of bikes in this category, varying from what are basically road bikes with slightly bigger tyres that are OK for gentle off road terrain, to road bikes that are almost MTB’s with drop bars.

FWIW I have a fondness for steel frames and ended up buying a Genesis Fugio (heavily discounted 2019 model). It’s literally been delivered today, so probably not fair to give a review based on a 1/2 mile ride up and down the road!

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
I have a Sonder Camino al and love it .
Do all bike thrashing the trails round Haldon forest , done battle on the beach in wales , Camino Del Norte in Spain and even cyclocossed on it .

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
1572637040650.png

OldShep

Über Member
My 20 yo rigid MtB was no longer giving pleasure so I decided to get modern. Tried full sus, tried a hard tail none fitted my needs. Ended up with a Giant Toughroad and after 491478

500 mls I'm still pleased with it. Fitted better tyres and all going well.
£450, a Giant 6 week return no sign of use.

Top Bottom