Recommend me a Greek island!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
With the youngest finishing her GCSEs, we have a onetime opportunity to get an off-season package holiday, and we fancy a Greek island....but which? Two main issues bear on the decision, beyond nice beaches. First, we'd like to go somewhere that won't be too ferociously hot in late June...so presumably we should be looking north rather than south. And second, we'd like an island with at least some visitable sites - ruins & remains sort of thing. Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Drago

Legendary Member
With luck you'll be there just in time to watch IS roll in ;)

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Naxos - it has the best beaches in the Mediterranean:

https://www.google.no/search?q=naxo...a=X&ei=i5p0VdngMoTRswG8sIHgAg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Friendly, cheap and not too popular with the 'trendy young ones.'
Funnily enough Naxos was the first Greek Island I ever went to, on a ferry from Piraeus, as a hapless gap-year numpty way back when. I loved it, and did find it gentle and beautiful. But as best I remember, there wasn't a great deal to go and see, which is quite important as my youngest is not terribly enthusiastic about beaching. Or am I mis-remembering?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
We've been to Lesbos. It was very nice. Ancient hill top town with fort. Hot springs and dive in the sea experience. Lots of good rezzies which weren't too expensive. Great caff, it was tiny and the little balcony, with 2 tables on it, was perched out over a cliff with a pretty long drop. Take a few quid you could probably buy the whole island.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Lesvos.
We stayed in Anaxos a few years ago. Very sleepy and very pretty. Petra and Molyvos are just down the road and are slightly more lively.
Eresos is where all the lady ladies go to.
We're thinking of going back in the autumn.......

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
What about Evia?
Lovely and quiet (I was in Chalkida), lots of stuff to do, just one hour by train to Athens for sightseeing.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Skiathos was nice a few years back and its little neighbour Skopelos was really lovely but probably a bit quite for your youngsters.

I always remember the pilot saying that you got one chance to land on Skiathos because the fuel allowance was so tight. Funnily enough when we landed we got towed in from the furthest end of the runway.

Renmurew

Veteran
We go to Greece fairly regularly. Never had a bad holiday. Just back from Santorini a couple of weeks ago. If you don't mind black lava beaches it is really spectacular, a bit further north so a wee bit cooler and there are ruins at Akrotiri. The big draw there is the view of the sunsets over the volcano from the towns along the cliffs.

Had great holidays on Rhodes, Kos, Corfu and Crete amongst others. End of June is likely to be fairly warm wherever you go, although as you say better to keep north if possible.

Good luck finding a holiday

Wendy

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I had a nice holiday in Rhodes a few years ago with the wife. Lots of ancient stuff to see, as Brandane says steer clear of Faliraki though. There is a really interesting bit where the Med meets the Aegean at one end of the island.

Top Bottom