Recommend me a new rear light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.
... its shaped like a coffin

My favourite is the Cateye TL-LD1100 using rechargeable AA batteries...
my current one is around 7 years old and has survived the worst Scandinavia can through at it in terms of vertical and horizontal water in the air....:whistle:
If used with the Cateye clothing clip on something like a seat pack do dremel drill a small hole through the bottom two bits of the clip and ziptie the clip though. The light is good but it's a heavy beast. Mine bounced off somewhere near Battersea never to be seen again.
I may get another. Thanks for the recmmendation.

but the main reason for having two is that it is quite possible for a rear light to fail mid-ride and you not to notice until a long time later.
Excellent advice. I've lost count of the times I've arrived home to find that I've been totally dark on one of the lights.

I virtually always use two.

I also prefer AA lights and am now trying to standardise on them - makes life far simpler.

+1 for the Cateye Rapid 3 - AA (single) of course which means I can carry just one type of spare battery, simplifies charging etc etc.

Sod small batteries - the lights they end up going in aren't that much smaller in the end - folks will be having their heads shrunk next.

potsy

Rambler
Well I've decided to go with a couple of Smart Lunar R2's for this winter's commutes, had 1 before which was my favourite rear light but unfortunately got smashed into a gazillion pieces when the bracket snapped and sent the light flying whilst doing 30mph down a hill.
This time I'm trying the USB rechargeable version and will be fettling some kind of extra security to stop them escaping again.

If used with the Cateye clothing clip on something like a seat pack do dremel drill a small hole through the bottom two bits of the clip and ziptie the clip though. The light is good but it's a heavy beast. Mine bounced off somewhere near Battersea never to be seen again.
I have only ever used them with the full bracket on the bike or pannier rack. Personally I have never lost one, but my OH has... :whistle:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
If you have money to spend. You won't get much better than the Dinotte 400R. Will set you back close to 150 after import duty.

How about rear lights with a belt clip for fixing to saddle bag - any suggestions?

Most of the Cateye lights will fasten to their belt clip thing.

Which is handy.

But DO see my post in this thread about ziptying the belt clip so that it doesn't detach along with your light.

Apart from special high power open dark road applications (take a bow Hope Vision 1 front light) I have largely standardised on Cateye lights as spare mounts are readily available for swapping lights between bikes. Also good to sometimes just take spare batteries in a spare light for instant swap over. Wish I'd come to this conclusion years ago - I have a box full of lights and assorted incompatible mounting systems.

potsy

Rambler
I have largely standardised on Cateye lights as spare mounts are readily available for swapping lights between bikes. Also good to sometimes just take spare batteries in a spare light for instant swap over. Wish I'd come to this conclusion years ago - I have a box full of lights and assorted incompatible mounting systems.
This is what I am trying to do with my bikes only with Smart rears and Moon fronts, got a mount on each bike for the Moon and 2 on each for the Smart's, saves a lot of faffing about :thumbsup:

PlymSlimCyclist

Über Member
@Blue Hills , have you got an image you can show, to show what you've done?
I've had mine annoyingly disconnect from my saddlebag on a few occasions.

I love the light, so much so, I've been tempted to buy another, and fit them permanently to my commuter bike and my event bike. Just will become a pain when I do events, as I remove my pannier (if it's not an audax).

@Blue Hills , have you got an image you can show, to show what you've done?
I've had mine annoyingly disconnect from my saddlebag on a few occasions.

I love the light, so much so, I've been tempted to buy another, and fit them permanently to my commuter bike and my event bike. Just will become a pain when I do events, as I remove my pannier (if it's not an audax).
hope this makes sense.the clip has two prongs, front and back. Back prong already has a biggish hole so that's fine. Drill a small hole in front prong in same area. Put a small zip tie threadee through both holes and snip of protrudions. So the clip can't possibly come off now. There is still of course a chance of a light bouncing itself out of the clip :sad: i have lost another, but cheaper cateye, like that. Apologies for wonky formatting, a tablet bug.

PlymSlimCyclist

Über Member
hope this makes sense.the clip has two prongs, front and back. Back prong already has a biggish hole so that's fine. Drill a small hole in front prong in same area. Put a small zip tie threadee through both holes and snip of protrudions. So the clip can't possibly come off now. There is still of course a chance of a light bouncing itself out of the clip :sad: i have lost another, but cheaper cateye, like that. Apologies for wonky formatting, a tablet bug.
Thank you @Blue Hills . The streets of London sound a silky smooth as ours in Plymouth.

Will have another gander at my clip and see what I can do.

I was going to wrap it all in cable ties else, sides and back to ensure it didn't come off. :biggrin:

Ok, let me know if the instructions turn out to be confusing when you get down to it. I recommend the smallest possible size of ziptie for neatness.

Top Bottom