Recommend me a pair of shoes (non clip in)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All,
I ride a hybrid (Cannonade Quick 4) with Wellgo B144 pedals and am in need of a new pair of shoes. (45's)
I don't want Sports Direct / Muddyfox type stuff but neither can I go to the prices in my local Cannonade dealership, £100 upwards.

So 50 quid ish, and preferably somewhere I could try them on. Best I've seen so far is from Chain Reaction, but that's buying online, but would if I had to.

Thanks in anticipation,
Paul G

S-Express

Those are flat pedals? Practically anything will do. As with buying shoes for any other purpose, fit is the most critical aspect.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Go to another sports shop, or a shoe shop that stocks sports shops. Fit is most important than then I think ideally you want stiff non-shiny soles, like in some boxing or racquet sports shoes, and probably fairly solid to keep the rain out as we head into winter, unless you use waterproof overshoes. I've a pair of Lonsdale ones which seem OK but I think Sports Direct own them too now.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Steam Pig

Try Millets or Go Outdoors for outdoorsy type shoes? Tk maxx sometimes have deals

I've ridden flat pedals with walking trainer (vibram sole) and you have next to no grip due to the deep tread on the sole. I would go along the lines of a smooth-ish sole with a little tread, the boxing type shoe may work.
I find laces tend to be a problem too, I did see some shimano flat soled mtb shoes that have a Velcro cover which looked good, but a bit pricey

vickster

Legendary Member
I've tried mtb shoes without cleats, super slippy as the cover is quite a hard unpliable plastic

Smooth soled trainers seem to lack stiffness. Trail running trainers can be ok. Best to shop around. Also depends on pedal preference

S-Express

Smooth soled trainers seem to lack stiffness.

Stiffness not so much of an issue when the pedal platform is so big..

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've tried mtb shoes without cleats, super slippy as the cover is quite a hard unpliable plastic

Smooth soled trainers seem to lack stiffness. Trail running trainers can be ok. Best to shop around. Also depends on pedal preference
Never had hard plastic soles in the contact area so never had that problem.

S-Express

So why would old school shoes for use with large pedals and toeclips be stiff?

Because 'old school' racing pedals with cages were not actually that big. Compared it to the platform size on the Wellgo B144 (as in the OP) or similar large platform BMX style pedals. Those pedals are so big, you could land a helicopter on them.

3e9bee448bc33547cac571854245efe62044a6ec.JPG

P1020221.JPG

Some very useful comments in this thread. I am taking note of all of them. Thanks.

Velcro flap is better than dangling laces.
Smooth soles are actually better as the studs on the Wellgo's really dig in and grip.

I looked at some shoes in a LBS, Micks in B st E, and they were the type where you can cut the sole. Two downsides, too many lace holes and
they did cost £75. Mmm, might have to pamper the wife. Unfortunately not in my size so would need to order.

Paul G

Top Bottom