Recommend me a Rim 700x32h for 28 Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
Hi Guys

I think I have overthought myself into a mental block / stalemate.

I need a replacement rim for my hybrid "commuter bike" front wheel.
I current have the bog standard Alex Rims R450 on the front. It has had a hard life and needs replacing - The worn out hub is forcing a rebuild so it seems like a sensible time to change the rim.
I run 28c tyres (marathon green) with tubes.
It is disk fitted and i dont really want to run rim brake rims - i do on my winter tyres but they only do a few weeks each year.

The bike spends most of its time on the roads / cycle tracks, but does occasionally end up on some rough stuff, probably rougher than it should.
My first question is what rim size, my chosen the originals are 17mm, but i run a 19mm on the rear with no problems.

I don't want to really spend a fortune on it as it is a bit of a tank, the bike sees daily commuting, child carrying and some occasional touring.
The next problem is availability anything I fancy at my price points are usually out of stock.

I my current favorites are these...
https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/wtb-st-rims-tubeless-ready.htm (I'm pretty sure they was £40) earlier in the year

Any thoughts or other suggestions
I have no issue with new second hand or excellent condition second hand if anyone is selling.

vickster

Legendary Member
Mavic open pro if you can find one

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Mavic open pro if you can find one

Finding is part of the problem.

I have been though quite a few Mavic Rims on the back, I find them quite soft, but they might do better on the front.

My MTB has a couple of mavics - they have been unbent a few times, but that's probably more to do with my lack of ability!

si_c

Guru
DT Swiss R460db/R470db both are very good rims and I've used them very successfully. My commuting wheels use these with a Shimano rear and a dynamo front hub.

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Looking like the DT Swiss at this moment. As the Mavic are rim brake (but eyletted) hmmmm.

DT Swiss R460db/R470db both are very good rims and I've used them very successfully. My commuting wheels use these with a Shimano rear and a dynamo front hub.

Are you happy enough with them over rougher stuff not to turn to 50p shapes?

si_c

Guru
Looking like the DT Swiss at this moment. As the Mavic are rim brake (but eyletted) hmmmm.

Are you happy enough with them over rougher stuff not to turn to 50p shapes?

I commuted on them 5 days a week for 2 years in all conditions and am 95kg on a "light" day, so they've had the inevitable encounters with pot holes at speed and I am not a particularly careful rider so they've had hard hits from bunny hopping off curbs or catching a bit of air off speed bumps. I've also ridden them off-road on gravel tracks or bridleways fairly frequently and they were fine - for reference this was all on 28mm tyres.

Not had any problems, I had one rim slightly pringled but that was a result of a moron who drove their car into my bike as I was walking across a pedestrian crossing at a roundabout, however they performed very well for me. I did have to retension the spokes a couple of times in that two year period, but they also did close to 20k miles in that time.

For what it's worth I still have them but I don't commute currently so they've been relegated to a winter wheel and don't see as much use.

Top Bottom