Recommend me a saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I currently have a brooks b17N on my road bike and whilst it is comfortable up to a distance of 15-20 miles after this it is getting very uncomfortable. I have given it 3000 miles and it is getting no better ;) and I want to up the distance I am riding.

Recommendations please

Just a thought FFFF, have you fiddled with the angle of the saddle? I've found that Brooks saddles need to be quite noticeably up at the front or you don't get the comfy leather hammock effect. What kind of pain and where is it?

OP
OP
4F

4F

The saddle is dead level at the moment. The pain is at the rear on the outer side of each buttock. I must admit I have not tried raising the front but have tried moving forwards and backwards.

Noodley

I was thinking the same as chuffy re raising the front a bit.

But maybe you just don't have a Brooks arse...or have the wrong Brooks saddle for you. Perhaps the Narrow is too narrow and a standard B17 or a Pro would be better?

OP
OP
4F

4F

I went for the B17N on recommendation from the LBS and certainly on my commute distance (30 miles daily) it has been no problem after the first initial 400 - 500 miles. I think I will try with raising the front a bit then before forking out on another saddle.

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
The saddle is dead level at the moment. The pain is at the rear on the outer side of each buttock. I must admit I have not tried raising the front but have tried moving forwards and backwards.
Ah.....
You're probably pushing yourself back slightly to compensate for the slidey nature of Brooks saddles. It sounds like your weight isn't on your sitbones, but on the outer edge of your cheeks. Try beaking the saddle up a little at the front and see if that helps.

Noodley

I went for the B17N on recommendadton from the LBS and certainly on my commute distance (30 miles daily) it has been no problem after the firts initila 400 - 500 miles. I think I will try with raising the front a bit then before forking out on another saddle.

My Pro saddle was okay (as in comfortable) from the off, but then I changed bikes and had to have a few rides before I had it tweaked properly - which involved raising the nose of the saddle slightly as well as moving it further back on the rails as I found myself "sliding" forward. If it is comfortable for as long as you say then sounds as if a bit of tweaking would be worth the effort in the first instance.

OP
OP
4F

4F

Cheers chaps, I will give that a go.

Chris James

Über Member
I just think it might be a bit narrow for your arse.

My B17N is very comfy. It is level-ish (back rim to front nose, it dips in the middle). I didn't fiddle around with the angle before settling on its final position. It just went to the correct height, and bit of forward and back waggling and a quick 'looks level' with the eye.

But I am fairly skinny, so maybe my sit bones are closer together than yours? If it is your arse, rather than perineum that is hurting then I would have thought the width is the more likely culprit. What sort of build are you? Your name implies that you might have been better with the normal B17.

OP
OP
4F

4F

Haha Chris J very delicately put. I would describe myself as "stocky" if you get my drift however reducing my stockiness each month.
I raised the front slightly and moved it back a tad and it felt better on the way in this morning however it still aches a little from a 30 miler I did last night. I think I will persist with tweaking before going down the route of buying something else.

Haha Chris J very delicately put. I would describe myself as "stocky" if you get my drift however reducing my stockiness each month.
I raised the front slightly and moved it back a tad and it felt better on the way in this morning however it still aches a little from a 30 miler I did last night. I think I will persist with tweaking before going down the route of buying something else.
Heh, I'm definitely not a whippet. 'Stocky' is bordering on a euphemism for me...
Just out of interest, do you tend to ride on the tops, drops or hoods mainly? That will affect the way that you sit.

Top Bottom