Recommend me a Sealed Bearing Rear 32h QR Hub for 8 speed Shimano

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
So those of you who have read my post in the what you've fettled thread will know I'm toying with the idea of rebuilding the rear wheel on my hybrid commuter bike.

The bike use used as my daily weapon of choice, for commuting, utility riding, picking the kids up, fun. It usually does upto 100-150miles a week on average over the year. It does see some weight carried in the form of kids and luggage.

It does get wet, very wet as the route to work is like the rapids when it rains.

I've currently got a Shimano MT15 wheel that is getting on for 4 years old. I thought it was cartridge sealed bearings and not cones, but some rumbling and play has lead me to discover they're cones. The freehub isn't exactly crisp and tight either. I'm crap at maintaining cones and getting them set right, and I usually find that once the seals have gone you end up stripping and cleaning them ever more often. So I'm contemplating replacement.

I've gone sealed bearings on most other wheels on my various bikes. I enjoy the fit and forget and should the bearings need changing its a few moments work so I'd like to go the same way on my most used bike.

My first thought was to turn to superstar V6 as that's what I've got on my MTB, I like it but do think the freehub sometimes tries to push the chain on leading to a slack top. The issue is they was about £90 on offer when I got the MTB hub, they're now £150. The V3 is a consideration.

I'm not sure I don't think the lower engagement level would be a issue, but would a V3 feehub wear faster with the fewer pawls?

The other consideration is replacement bearings are expensive from SS as are freehubs (in normal non covid times).

What else is available, do Shimano do any decent sealed cartridge bearing hubs or are they still wedded to the cone type?

I'm indifferent to freehub nosie I'm more about value (not cheapness) and durability and given in time poor at the moment maintainability.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Despite you asking for sealed bearings I would still suggest good cup & cone hubs are best.

I've ran M756 XT hubs on my previous commuter for 20k miles and 8-9 yrs of commuting with just minimal servicing (maybe 2-3 times) and they still run good as new. I think you just need to improve your servicing ability, they are dead simple to do.

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
You're probably right. A decent hub would probably be a decent starting point. I've been using 475 hubs and whatever is stock fitted to the mt15 wheel.

I don't know what it is with fettling cup and cones I just can't get the sweet spot. I used to be fine with the tapered bearings on cars though!

Other problem is I think I leave them too long to service and ride them in grim gritty salty conditions.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
M475 hubs are great. I ran some for a while and remember thinking they were basically a cheaper, heavier version of the M756 XT hub and just as well built. I ended up handing them back as the wheels were replaced under warranty due to repeated spoke and rim issues. I begged them to allow me to keep the wheels as the hubs were reuseable and they were clearly destined for the skip, but they wouldn't budge :sad:

gbb

Legendary Member
My first thought was to turn to superstar V6 as that's what I've got on my MTB, I like it but do think the freehub sometimes tries to push the chain on leading to a slack top.

I had this frequently on one of my bikes (chain being pushed forward as you stop pedalling)
Took me a while to work it out...the spoke protector (pie plate) had slipped and jammed between the spokes and the cassette....so the spin of the wheel was transfered to the cassette...chain as well.
Worth considering if yours has a spoke protector.

Top Bottom