Recommend me a small run around

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
diesel is inappropriate for either running around or such low mileages.

A properly engineered diesel is fine for running around.

My Meriva used to clog the diesel particulate filter and require an otherwise pointless blast down the motorway to clear it.

My CMax doesn't have any such problems, and is ULEZ compliant.

Neither any good for the OP, but I think a version of the TDCi engine in the CMax may also be in the Fiesta.

The ULEZ site says diesels registered after 2015 are 'generally' compliant.

That could be a snag because the budget will only run to an earlier diesel Fiesta.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
A properly engineered diesel is fine for running around.

My Meriva used to clog the diesel particulate filter and require an otherwise pointless blast down the motorway to clear it.

My CMax doesn't have any such problems, and is ULEZ compliant.

Neither any good for the OP, but I think a version of the TDCi engine in the CMax may also be in the Fiesta.

The ULEZ site says diesels registered after 2015 are 'generally' compliant.

That could be a snag because the budget will only run to an earlier diesel Fiesta.
Somebody technical will be along shortly to explain why diesels take so long to get up to working temperature (iirc it's due to diesel's very high thermodynamic efficiency - or maybe not ^_^) which means that their economy 'around the doors' is poor. It's nothing to do with emissions.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Somebody technical will be along shortly to explain why diesels take so long to get up to working temperature (iirc it's due to diesel's very high thermodynamic efficiency - or maybe not ^_^) which means that their economy 'around the doors' is poor. It's nothing to do with emissions.

Is any internal combustion engine economical on short journeys?

My diesel CMax does less to the gallon in town than on a run, but so would a petrol.

I doubt there's much in it, although I've not owned a modern small engined petrol car.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Is any internal combustion engine economical on short journeys?

My diesel CMax does less to the gallon in town than on a run, but so would a petrol.

I doubt there's much in it, although I've not owned a modern small engined petrol car.
No, but the delta is worse for diesels because of their extended warm up cycle, that's the point.

DRM

Guru
Suzuki Celerio if you get one pre March 2017 it’s zero tax, peanuts to insure & has a reasonably sized boot compared to Aygo’s C1’s or VW up or it’s variants will also carry 4 adults in reasonable comfort for a small car, fuel economy is excellent too.

MarkF

Guru
Skoda Citigo maybe.

That reminded me, l was banging on about how reliable Suzuki Swifts were. My mum fell in love with Fiat 500's and l bought her one, her only worry was reliability. 3 years on, it's proved to be faultless, to go with being a fun thing to look at and drive.

After a minor prang, her replacement vehicle for 2 weeks was a Citigo. She refused to drive it as it was such a drab thing, l agree.

screenman

Legendary Member
That reminded me, l was banging on about how reliable Suzuki Swifts were. My mum fell in love with Fiat 500's and l bought her one, her only worry was reliability. 3 years on, it's proved to be faultless, to go with being a fun thing to look at and drive.

After a minor prang, her replacement vehicle for 2 weeks was a Citigo. She refused to drive it as it was such a drab thing, l agree.

Exciting they are not, but reliable economical town car they are. Would I own one, I doubt it as it would not suit my needs.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Because the op wants a running around car for short journeys diesel isn't a good choice overall because diesel's mpg advantage will be little or nothing in those circumstances due to that thermodynamic thing which means that the difference between its notional mpg and its actual mpg will be greater than a petrol engined car.

And everyone will hate him too ^_^

D

Deleted member 1258

Suzuki Swift. Buy one from the right year and it's £30 VED, and 55mpg if you drive it reasonably.

Check out reliability ratings HERE.

Another vote for the Swift, also look at the Hyundai's, I10 or I20

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Another one for C1. My daughter has a 12 reg one. Good looking car, goes on for ever on £10 of fuel and only £20 VED.

MarkF

Guru
Exciting they are not, but reliable economical town car they are. Would I own one, I doubt it as it would not suit my needs.

I wouldn't own a Citigo, Up or Fabia for the same reason, the interior and dash, they must be like piloting a grey wheelie bin. With £4k the OP can be sat in nicer place with the same reliability.

Top Bottom