Recommend me a small run around

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Fabia is too big, B segment, a bit big, expensive to buy and insure and tax as a mere runaround, and diesel is inappropriate for either running around or such low mileages.

The original 107 or C1 fits the bill, and the very last of the MK1 cars comes comfortably into your budget. The Aygo essentially the same, but more troublesome. Free road tax on the later models (20 or 30 sheets on earlier ones), very low insurance grouping, a hoot to drive, and robust beyond all reason.
all built in the same factory , go for the c1 if you were buying new as they are the same car with different badges the have snae engine gearbox and body shell

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The Fabia greenline is a diesel, utterly inappropriate for low mileages and running around.

Excellent point, I should pay better attention to the requirements.
I’d still recommend one of the £zero VED petrol variants though.

tom73

Guru
Aygo great fun to drive and run on very little cheep tax too. Maybe a small engine but it still can move like other have said it's the same as C1 ,107. Toyota buy about 70% of them It's now our only car never had a issue very early ones have a issue with door seals but many have been replaced. The main thing about them is they designed the car round the engine and not like some that take off the peg engine and expect it to work the wrong car.
Mine's a 10 plate and has never put a foot wrong.

BSOh

Über Member
I've had a 107 mk 1 for a couple of years now.

Pro's - great mpg, cheap to maintain, quite nippy about town, park anywhere.

Cons - earlier models a bit leaky, so seals might need doing, not comfortable for anything other than short trips. Rubbish for hilly routes and more than one passenger.

Mine has been great, not long passed another mot with no advisories, great nick for a 14 year old. But the manifold cracked last month, and unfortunately its all in one with the CAT so will be uneconomical to fix really. Still haven't decided what to do with it.

I've replaced it with an ebike for my commute. But I'd buy another if I had to go back to a car.

vickster

Legendary Member
Grande Punto or the older hatch, Fabia bigger than neither

Fabia same size as a Fiesta or Yaris as the OP, Aygo, C1, Citigo etc smaller. Too small for @Beebo

My 2012 VRS Fabia estate is ULEZ compliant so the less oomphy mk2 petrol hatches will be fine

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Too small for @Beebo

Blimey, how big is @Beebo ? We've got a citigo and I'm 6'4".

The citigo seems fine btw, but I'm utterly uninterested in cars. So probably the wrong person to ask.

vickster

Legendary Member
Blimey, how big is @Beebo ? We've got a citigo and I'm 6'4".

The citigo seems fine btw, but I'm utterly uninterested in cars. So probably the wrong person to ask.
I missed the ?
I've no idea how big he is but he may need a car with a decent back seat and boot.
He mentioned bigger cars in the OP, maybe he's considered the smaller class, maybe not.
Eg, My car carries a couple of bikes with the seats down and 3 adults, no need to dismantle bikes. You can't do that in a Citigo

Can you still get the stupidly over powered 1.6 Citroen C2’s? Not seen any around for ages, but they were a hoot to drive, lol. Or a Fiat Panda even better if you can get the Abarth versions.

Top Bottom