Recommend me an all round tyre for Boardman CX bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
Good idea.
If you wanted advice on those, I use the ortlieb trunk bag... not sure i'd buy it again. Great that it's waterproof but it's not got the best opening/accessibility, and the hard plastic base means that if you've got a pump and a multi-tool in there you sound like you're carrying around a big rattley box of lego! Very good for getting on and off - just a push button mechanism.
The ortlieb back roller plus panniers that I use are brilliant though. Costly but you get what you pay for.
Best of luck with your choices anyway, and enjoy the CX when it comes.

OP
OP
N

NStar

Ouch, just seen the price of those panniers! might have to put those off for a little while, the cost of the accessories and extras are mounting up, nearly as much as the bike!

Will have to figure out how much space i need, I might not be commuting 5 days a week just yet, so will probably take what i need, extra clothes etc, when I drive into work.

Mike!

Guru
Having just got myself a Boardman CX I had the same tyre thoughts, the majority of my riding will be road and in all conditions but i will go across some heathland / tracks etc from time to time.

I chose Schwalbe Marathon Racer in 700 x 30 which are a folding tyre and a lot lighter than marathon pluses

I also fitted full guards (SKS Bluemels in my case) but given the choice again I would probably go for the Chromoplastics simply because the bridge mount (rear guard) doesn't fit between the stays. In the end I ordered the one from the Chromoplastics (as a spare part) which does fit!

07b57fae.jpg

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Conti gatorskins (700x23) adorn my Boardman CX as most of my routes are 80% roads and the rest mixed cycle/railway paths ... I find them rather good and have been bomb proof so far :thumbsup:
Welcome to the BTCX club once you've bought yours

Mike!

Guru
Is that a pump or a shotgun?!!! :gun:

Very nice and shiny though! I have the charge spoon on mine too now although don't you slip off it at that angle?!

It's a pump that works and works quickly without destroying tubes :-)

I'm still tweaking the seat but the angle of that photo makes it look more tilted than it actually is!

Also it's shiny as it hadn't been on the road at that point!

A bit late as you have already settled on 25/28 tyres, but I have 35mm Schwalbe Sammy Slicks on mine, and I swear by them. Light, low rolling resistance, tread on the sides that comes into play if you need it to and when you drop the psi. Used them in mud, water, ice and even snow. tbh, I wasn't comfortable on the snow, but I didn't fall off!

Darren862

Conti gatorskins (700x23) adorn my Boardman CX

NormanD, how do you find 23mm tyres on the rims? I've not tried them myself as I'd heard that 25mm was pushing it.

Darren862

Well that's good to know! :smile: By the way (I know you put this in another thread and I'm sorry to hi-jac this one slightly), I took my Team Carbon out last Wednesday evening. It was the first time since getting the CX. WOW!! So much quicker!!! Wouldn't use it for what I use the CX for but putting 23mm tyres on the CX (I still have the originals on it) will certainly make a difference!!

lejogger

Guru
Well that's good to know! :smile: By the way (I know you put this in another thread and I'm sorry to hi-jac this one slightly), I took my Team Carbon out last Wednesday evening. It was the first time since getting the CX. WOW!! So much quicker!!! Wouldn't use it for what I use the CX for but putting 23mm tyres on the CX (I still have the originals on it) will certainly make a difference!!
I never actually rode the CX with the original knobblies but I would certainly think that you'd get a faster ride with the 23mm, although it won't be as comfortable!
I still think the Team Carbon is an incredible bike for £1k minus C2W savings.

Darren862

Lejogger, IMHO the only thing that lets the entire Boardman range down is Halfords. I'm one of the lucky few that have a store that is run by people who know their stuff. :smile: Both the CX and the TC are great bikes and at great prices. I'm not sure that I'll put 23's on the CX though. I want a more comfortable ride on that bike.

Top Bottom