Recommend me an all round tyre for Boardman CX bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
Lejogger, IMHO the only thing that lets the entire Boardman range down is Halfords. I'm one of the lucky few that have a store that is run by people who know their stuff. :smile: Both the CX and the TC are great bikes and at great prices. I'm not sure that I'll put 23's on the CX though. I want a more comfortable ride on that bike.
I understand that. I put 23s on when I was using it for club runs in the winter as I didn't want wider tyres slowing me down. Now I've done a full winter as a club member I realise that guys turn up on all sorts and I'd be more than comfortable on something a bit more forgiving. I may return to 25s, we'll see.
Halfords have a poor reputation and I must admit, I wouldn't let some of the staff in my local branch loose on a wind up alarm clock, let alone any of my bikes... but the two or three guys in there who are the ones trained up to build and maintain the Boardmans are actually very competent and knowledgeable, and I let them carry out the jobs I can't do or don't have the tools for.

cloggsy

Boardmanist
07b57fae.jpg

This looks great (minus the rack) :thumbsup:

cloggsy

Boardmanist
Having just got myself a Boardman CX I had the same tyre thoughts, the majority of my riding will be road and in all conditions but i will go across some heathland / tracks etc from time to time.

I chose Schwalbe Marathon Racer in 700 x 30 which are a folding tyre and a lot lighter than marathon pluses

I also fitted full guards (SKS Bluemels in my case) but given the choice again I would probably go for the Chromoplastics simply because the bridge mount (rear guard) doesn't fit between the stays. In the end I ordered the one from the Chromoplastics (as a spare part) which does fit!

07b57fae.jpg

Mike, how did you got about fitting the front stays around the front caliper please?

Thanks in advance...

lejogger

Guru
Mike, how did you got about fitting the front stays around the front caliper please?

Thanks in advance...
Appreciate the question want aimed at me, but my solution was to saw off the stay that wants to go through the brake calliper. 3 is fine.
I've seen other people have a go at some extravagant bending, but there's no sign of weakness from mine 18 months on.

Mike!

Guru

Thanks in advance...

I started bending it around and got fed up so cut it off with a Dremel!

After 800 miles of commuting on pretty rough surfaces its held nice and solid too

Dilbert

I bent mine with a pair of Electricians Pliers, look me half an hour or so but looks OK. I will try and post a photo.

kas888

what panniers do you have on that ? i just ordered the chromoplastics in silver cant wait ! thanks

Top Bottom