Recommend me an all round tyre for Boardman CX bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NStar

Hi guys,
I am about the join the CX club and buy a Boardman Team CX bike, with the intention of commuting to work plus weekend rides too.
Most of the commuting mileage (26 mile round trip) will be Road / Pavements (cycle paths) but at the weekend will probably be more of a mixture of roads, canal paths and grassy trodden paths etc.
So am looking for an all round tyre, I don’t really want to be changing tyres too often.
My experience is mostly road cycling so am used to the skinny tyres, but guess I will need something more durable and wider for what I need.
Have been looking at the Schwalbe Marathons but can’t decide on what width to go with, which is my main stumbling point really.
Cheers!

lejogger

Guru
Hi NStar and almost welcome to the CX club!
When I first got my CX I purchased some Schwalbe Marathon in a 25mm to go on it. They're pretty bomb proof and my best mate still swears by them for winter riding, but if I'm honest with you they're very heavy, and I found them a little slippy. I came off in October when the rear wheel went from under me on a bend and I totally lost confidence with them. I don't think it helped that the one I had on the rear had a slight defect giving it a slight egg, but either way I went for the Continental 4 Seasons in 23mm instead. Not as much puncture protection but they're grippy and light and do me for commuting as well as wet/winter club rides.
Loads of guys on here love the Marathon plus which are supposed to be significantly better than the standard marathon.
The continental gatorskins are also very popular.

I ride almost exclusively on road though so I'm probably not answering your question very well, but as long as you're not bothered about the weight (or the cost) perhaps give the Marathon plus a go. As long as you're not going properly off road I wouldn't go too much wider than 25 or 28mm

potsy

Rambler
Marathon supremes have been decent so far on my tricross, I went for the comfort of 35's but they roll nicely and are half the weight of the M+

OP
OP
N

NStar

Cheers lejogger

The width is the main issue for me, what with the potholes and terrain, want to protect the wheels but without going too chunky, though probably 80% of my time on the bike will be roads.

The weight isn’t too much of an issue, I am not a full seasoned biker yet so haven’t got my head around the “saving weight” thing……maybe in time I will.

Schneil

Veteran
I use Continental Tour contact on my Scott Sportster hybrid in 700x37c. They are a semi-slick so have knobbles on the edge for off-road and a slick in the middle for road.

lejogger

Guru
Cheers lejogger

The width is the main issue for me, what with the potholes and terrain, want to protect the wheels but without going too chunky, though probably 80% of my time on the bike will be roads.

The weight isn’t too much of an issue, I am not a full seasoned biker yet so haven’t got my head around the “saving weight” thing……maybe in time I will.
I must say, the comfort of the Marathon 25mm was supremely better than the 4 Seasons 23mm. Lumps and bumps are absorbed a lot, lot better.
If you're a commuter who likes to pootle along without getting involved in any SCR or beating yesterday's travel time then it's purely a personal preference with regards to comfort levels on a 28mm or higher.
Personally, I like to get a nice balance between speed and puncture protection, with comfort very much taking 3rd place. I would therefore probably go 25mm and definitely not more than 28mm.
In your case, you need to decide which order you put those three factors in and make a decision based on that.

OP
OP
N

NStar

Cheers again,

There be no pottle'ing along here! :smile:

Would be speed / puncture protection before comfort for me, would be wanting to get my travel time down as i get fitter.

Think i will settle on 25/28 mm, would they be adequate for canal paths, bit of mud etc?

been a great help !

lejogger

Guru
There be no pottle'ing along here! :smile:!
That's the spirit!!
Think i will settle on 25/28 mm, would they be adequate for canal paths, bit of mud etc?
Totally depends on the quality of the canal path... but I would certainly think so.
The only other consideration is whether you're going to be getting mudguards - you need to make sure whatever you go for will be compatible with the clearance you have.

astrocan

Veteran
I find that the Vittoria Randonneur Trail tyres are excellent for this type of mixed riding. They have a small nobbly pattern that feels smooth and yet still gives good grip. They also have effective puncture protection, I'm not going to say I have never had a puncture because I know what will happen on the way home, but the Route5 path I use is dressed with crushed flint and they cope with that brilliantly. Plus excellent value, I pay about £14.

OP
OP
N

NStar

That was actually my next question.................once i had settled on the tyre choice, then i can decide on what mudguards to choose, without looking like my nans old bike!

lejogger

Guru
I went with the narrower SKS Chromoplastics. Hopefully the pic has attached below. That was from the days of Schwalbe. I don't think it looks too bad for an all-purpose machine.

Note the missing stay from the front guard. You can lose it or try some creative bending to get it around the disc brake unit.

Attachments

• Bike.JPG
    Bike.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 470
OP
OP
N

NStar

Cheers, think i have your bike on here elsewhere, looks good!

I was looking at the SKS chromoplastics myself, after seeing yours and others on here

Will be panniers or a saddle bag next, something to store work clothes and bits in.

Been a great help, thanks!

Top Bottom