Recommend me some durable hubs for the commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
I currently have Shimano m475 and whilst the front has and continues to put in sterling service the rear Fhm475 is once again on its last legs with worn cups.

The usual mode of failure is the bearing grease gets contaminated and manky and then unless caught soon enough the cups get grotty. The seals on these hubs are pretty basic caps and my usage sees them suffer.

The bike see 5000miles a year in all weathers from snow to hot sun. I would say it does 74% roads 15% tarmac bike trails, 10% sandy/muddy trails 1% Rough stuff that it really shouldn't.

I run disk brakes and dropouts are of QR type.

The Lbs recommended Hope or Superstar hubs as being the best, and I have looked at the pro4. However I note they take "cartridge bearings/sealed bearings" which Yellow Saddle warns against for what appears to me to be sensible reasons here

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/f...-bearings-made-of-butter.217201/#post-4768715

On the flip side of that most hope stuff is highly regarded.

What hubs would the cc board suggest. I don't mind spending sensible money for good value after all it is the building up of the wheel that costs.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
XT M756a :okay:

Top Bottom