Recommend me some tyres please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I was going to use the Dawes Clubman that I bought from @biggs682 to do a Spain tour with my daughter, we should be out there now.........it's just been sat unloved at the bike of the garage. :sad: Having gone bike buying crackers this month, a Merida Cyclocross & a Revolution Hybrid in and a Spesh Sirrus to pick up tomorrow, I thought I'd better turn it into cash. But when I took it out to take pictures, the blue is so gorgeous that I can't flog it.^_^

I am going to junk the guards into an ever growing pile of unused ones and treat it to some 28mm tyres, the 23's on it are far too harsh for me. All my other bikes have M+'s but this one won't seen any trail/towpath riding and my tyre knowledge is zilch. I am a plodder so comfy and durable tyre recommendations please.:okay:

Dawes%20Clubman.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
Durano Raceguard, usually inexpensive from Spa? Durable and comfy but not the lightest. Fine for a plodder

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s121p3574/SCHWALBE-Durano-HS464-One-HS462A-Folding

I do like the Vittoria open pave 28s on my new to me bike but they’re about £35 each and maybe not the most durable

What’s the budget?

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Durano Raceguard, usually inexpensive from Spa? Durable and comfy but not the lightest. Fine for a plodder

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s121p3574/SCHWALBE-Durano-HS464-One-HS462A-Folding

I do like the Vittoria open pave 28s on my new to me bike but they’re about £35 each and maybe not the most durable

What’s the budget?

I don't mind paying £35 a tyre, or more, as I've saved a fortune using M+'s, I bought my first pair in 2009 and was using them this afternoon.^_^

rivers

How far can I go?
I'm a fan of pirelli cinturato velos as a hard wearing tyre. I have them on my winter bike, good puncture protection and they roll well. Not cheap though

MntnMan62

Über Member
I was going to recommend the ones I use, Continental GP4000S II but I realized they are 23s. I went to Amazon to find which ones I had bought previously and was shocked to see the price for one tire is now $74 US dollars. That's insane. The Conti GP5000 is much more appropriately priced at $41.34. I still think that's high but I guess with everyone riding bikes these days during the virus, prices for everything are through the roof.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
I'll order the Duranos from Spa, many thanks.:okay:

DRM

Guru
Personally I’m not a fan of Continental tyres, having had both GP4000SII and Ultra Sports split with next to no use, I had some Michelin Lithion 2’s In the garage so I fitted them, not been any bother, good grip, best of all cheap, I think they’ve been upgraded to version 3 now

MntnMan62

Über Member
Personally I’m not a fan of Continental tyres, having had both GP4000SII and Ultra Sports split with next to no use, I had some Michelin Lithion 2’s In the garage so I fitted them, not been any bother, good grip, best of all cheap, I think they’ve been upgraded to version 3 now

Interesting with the Conti GP4000SII. According to Amazon I bought mine in 2011. I don't think I installed them until years later. They've probably been on my bike for about two years. I must have something like 750 to 1,000 miles on them and they show little signs of quiting on me. Given the cost of them now I'll pick up a set of Conti GP5000. Hopefully they show me some similar amounts of love.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Bontrager R4 classics.

Decent wear, excellent grip, comfy and fast.... Oh and the tan side walls look ace.

Next time, they would have looked good.

Funny how an incident (or two) puts you off, the only time I ventured from Schwalbe M+'s was to fit Continental Tour + just before a long tour. They didn't seem to roll any better and looked to be wearing before my eyes.

I recently bought a pair of conti gp5000 clinchers (Merlin cycles do the pair plus a couple of tubes for about £75) and they are absolutely brilliant, on road and gravel. Not the cheapest granted, but you get what you pay for. The gp4000s I had before that were as near to bulletproof as I could expect to get, only two punctures in the 5,000+ miles I did on them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom