Recommend pump for Brompton - mini/lightweight Lezyne or Topeak ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snazpizaz

Hi

I need to purchase a pump for my Brompton with Schwalbe Marathon tyres. I'm wanting mini / lightweight - with a hose - maybe can be stored in the frame - where the Brompton tool kit goes - but not essential.

Can anyone recommend a suitable , budget-end Lezyne or Topeak pump (with hose) which will do the job ?
These seem to be the best/most popular choice brands but there are so many to choose from - it's a bit confusing.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/pumps
and
https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/hand-pumps?page=1

cheers
sp

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Do you have a steel rear triangle? If so, the Brompton pump is designed to fit and is well made (Truflo/Zefal).

Titanium bikes have no pump clips and Brompton include the lack of a pump in the quoted weight saving!

mitchibob

Über Member
CO2 inflators are your friend! Personally, I wouldn't buy the ProTool one again as used a few times then let me down, and but the Jet Valve one I bought from FullCity Cycles has worked great and like that you can screw in a cartridge without piercing, then when you need, you unscrew, flip the extra bit, and screw back in, the press against your valve to have your tire inflated in seconds.

But, they take up less space than a pump, and so much less hassle. The only slight issue is perhaps when you just want to get a tiny bit of air in a tube to get it into the tire, which is the only thing I use the Brompton pump for these days, but not going back to the days of getting adequate pressure into a tire with a mini-pump. I have a track pump at home for that, and a 16g CO2 cartridge will easily pump a Brompton tire to a very decent pressure (with a little left to top up your other tire sometimes).

If you're not someone that always wears gloves, make sure you get one that has a sensible sleeve for the CO2 cartridge so that it doesn't get stuck to your fingers on discharge. JetValve one has a decent sleeve for the cartridge.

Having an easy way to pump up your tires will probably help guarantee you don't get a puncture for ages (well, I first got a CO2 inflator after getting 4 punctures in a week and then didn't have one for 6 months). For long distance, I'd still carry a pump though, but I'm sure others could recommend pocketable pumps as I just use the Brommie one (which isn't great).

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/weldtites-new-modular-co2-inflator-range-180997

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

Do you have a steel rear triangle? If so, the Brompton pump is designed to fit and is well made (Truflo/Zefal).

Titanium bikes have no pump clips and Brompton include the lack of a pump in the quoted weight saving!

I have a titanium Brompton - i'm concerned about the weight and size of a pump but wish to have one to ride around with me.

cheers sp

bikegang

Mod before ride, my bike my style...
Hi

I need to purchase a pump for my Brompton with Schwalbe Marathon tyres. I'm wanting mini / lightweight - with a hose - maybe can be stored in the frame - where the Brompton tool kit goes - but not essential.

Can anyone recommend a suitable , budget-end Lezyne or Topeak pump (with hose) which will do the job ?
Not the lightweight portable version, but this surely a good replacement for floor pump.
Digital control to the exact pressure without any effort. I now pump the tyres to 90psi once a week.
Xiaomi Pump

Attachments

• 1563504527-6e51f7b4589d5a08ebd2d1813dede24e.jpg
    1563504527-6e51f7b4589d5a08ebd2d1813dede24e.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 245

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I have a titanium Brompton - i'm concerned about the weight and size of a pump but wish to have one to ride around with me.

cheers sp
Why? The use case for a Brompton involves folding it up and carrying it on public transport or a taxi on the very rare occasions you get a flat. Especially with Marathons.

I've been riding a Brompton for nearly 25 years, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've got a flat while out and about. Just keep it well inflated (track pump at home) and replace the tyres when they start to wear out.

OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

xiaomi pump looks cool and good for weight, if a little bulky ! Is that some kind of universal connector ?

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
I like the Lezyne because I find the screw on hose much easier to get solidly on the stem than the kind with a lever. They pump up fairly well, too. I bought a second one because I thought I'd lost the first and it is a tad shorter than the first. When its necessary to submerge a tube to find a tiny puncture they are a lot handier than a floor pump. If you want to get all the air out to roll up the tube just screw on the hose and disconnect from the pump. However I only use Schrader stem tubes haven broken many Prestas, so that might figure into the decision.

OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

I like the Lezyne because......

Hi - is there any specific Lezyne model you prefer over another ? ALso i think you've also got a Brompton - do you know if it fits inside the frame ?

cheers !
sp

12boy

Guru
It does not fit on a Brompton frame. The closest one I see of the current ones is the " pressure drive hand pump". I carry mine in a tool roll with the other crap I may need. The pump is on the left, a pinky-red color.

Attachments

• IMG_20200123_091259.jpg
    IMG_20200123_091259.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 190

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Make sure the connection to the bike valve fits. I got a Joe Blow Sport which has a connector which will not easily work on the Brompton due to limited space between the spokes as the locking lever will not turn fully. It works on the Bike Friday with 20 inch wheels but is not easy on the Ice Trike 20 inch wheels.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The front wheel is the tricky one, due to the radial spokes. My JB Sport head fits - just - but it's an old model and might have a smaller head.

OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

Do the Lezyne pump valaves fit the Brompton Schwalbe marathon tyres ?

@12boy - cheers - that Lezyne pump looks small tho - guessing it doesn't fit in the Brompton frame due to it's width ?

cheers
sp

12boy

Guru
They fit both Schrader and Presta valves but they don't seem made to ride on the frame securely. Hence the tool roll and saddlebag. They aren't cheap but mine have worked well for many years.

Top Bottom