Recommend Shimano RD-TX30 tourney rear derailleur alternative please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

katonda

Regular
Hi again,

I successfully installed the rear derailleur yesterday, but I couldn't figure out how to do it without breaking the chain or removing the derailleur's metal plate. I opted for the latter, which the instructions explicitly told me not to. I assume that people usually break/replace the chain?

I've also ordered some replacement cables, but those will take a bit longer to arrive.

Thanks to all for your support. My GF is happy.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yes, breaking the chain (or fitting a new one) would be the usual. What you've done works just as well and shouldn't cause any problems as long as the parts go back together exactly the same way. The biggest danger if you've taken the pulley wheels out is inadvertently swapping them over. They look the same but are subtly different.

katonda

Regular
Hi again,

So the new cables arrived from China yesterday. Clipped them to size and the gears are working much smoother now.

However, I am having an issue with the rear shifter. When the chain goes on the bigger gears (closer to the spokes - not sure if this is shifting up or down) the derailleur starts to tap on the spokes on the second to last gear and gets caught in the spokes on the last. This is what I think led to my girlfriend's first accident. I tried various combinations of adjustments to the derailleur, even tried placing the washers of the wheels on the inside of the frame to create more of a gap. Nothing seemed to work. So I'm thinking that the derailleur hanger might be the problem. What do you think? Could it have been bent somehow? If I need to replace it, will any do or are there different kinds?

Sorry, my fingers were greasy and the sunlight was very bright when I took the shots.

Edit: Yup, judging by pictures from other bikes, I'd say it's bent. There are also a lot of different shapes to the derailleur hangers from what I can tell... does anyone know which one I need from the pictures alone?

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yes, it looks pretty certain that the hanger is bent. They are designed to bend/break easily in the event of taking a knock to save the frame from damage. The downside of this is that usually only very minor straightening can be done without them breaking.

As you've already gathered, there are more than a hundred different styles of hanger. From the photo I think that this is the one you need: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-sp...ropout-for-7005-alloy-touring-trekking-frame/ but I can't be 100% sure. This is one occasion where you could really do with a bike shop to look at it and advise. Not easy in the current state of affairs I know.

katonda

Regular
Yes, it looks pretty certain that the hanger is bent. They are designed to bend/break easily in the event of taking a knock to save the frame from damage. The downside of this is that usually only very minor straightening can be done without them breaking.

As you've already gathered, there are more than a hundred different styles of hanger. From the photo I think that this is the one you need: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-sp...ropout-for-7005-alloy-touring-trekking-frame/ but I can't be 100% sure. This is one occasion where you could really do with a bike shop to look at it and advise. Not easy in the current state of affairs I know.

Thanks again Phil!

Yes, that does indeed look like the one I need. I took the time to take it off and take some additional shots. The paper is marked such that one square is 5x5mm.

Top Bottom