Recommend Shimano RD-TX30 tourney rear derailleur alternative please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red_Raleigh

Hi all, first post.

I'm trying to fix a Dawes Tourismo 20Six gents bike and the rear derailleur has franctured after a bit of a crash, so it needs replacing, but I don't know enough about bikes to pick an alternative to the RD-TX30 which is on it already. They're hard to find anyway, so if anyone can point me to a decent alternative, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance everyone :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: @Red_Raleigh

These derailleurs are still available in various versions under the Tourney name and I believe a TX35 would be the current equivalent to the TX30 if you want an inexpensive straight swap. Acera and Alivio are the next two steps up if you want to upgrade.

How does the current derailleur mount to the bike? If you have the older style horizontal rear dropouts and the hanger that clamps into the dropout, you might also need one of the old style hangers like this one: LINK.

outlash

also available in orange
Post up a pic of the deurailleur, the tourney mechs have different mounts as I have found out when I had to replace the broken one on my son's bike (I now have a brand new mech without a bike to fix it to!)

Tony.

OP
OP
R

Red_Raleigh

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Been a tad busy since I posted the question. Sorry for the delay. Cheaper the better for the replacement.

Hope these pics are enough to go on. If not let me know. Thanks again. Much appreciated :smile:

20150601_114616.jpg
20150601_114628.jpg
20150601_114636.jpg
20150601_114642.jpg
20150601_114707.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
^^^ That is about as cheap as I think you'll find them. Bargain.:okay:

Photos always help and those confirm that you don't need the old style hanger I linked to earlier as yours is a direct fit derailleur.

It would be worth making sure that the hanger currently on the bike isn't bent. Doesn't look like it in the photos but if the derailleur has taken a knock it's possible as they are designed to bend/break easily to save the frame from damage.

There are about a hundred different versions of that type of hanger so it's not easy to say which one you'd need if required. This one: link, looks like it but I'd recommend getting a local bike shop to check and confirm.

katonda

Regular
Hi all,

sorry to raise an old thread from the dead, but I thought it would be better than creating a similar one. I think I'm in a similar position as OP. Not due to a fall, but the derailleur was never cleaned and while shifting seized up because of years of caked up gunk and ended up getting caught in the spokes at speed bending the shaft and breaking some teeth.

Old bike of GF, not anything special. Looking for a bang for buck replacement here.

What's the 2020 equivalent of the Shimano Tourney RD-TX30?

Will I need the 'old style' hanger others mentioned?

Also, does this crankshaft still look functional or is it risky? I can't tell if these teeth are damaged or if they are meant to look like that since the notch is repeated.

katonda

Regular
Like one of these three?

SHIMANO Altus RD-M310

Shimano Tourney TX RD-TX800

SHIMANO Acera Rear Derailleur RD-M360

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: @katonda

Looking at your photos, you do not need the old style hanger that I've mentioned in the thread previously. Any of the derailleurs you've listed should do the job just fine. If choosing from the 20 Euro ones I'd personally probably pick the Acera as the ones I've had have been quite reliable.

The chainrings are difficult to judge from the photo. It's a cheap pressed steel set which is likely to have some short teeth and what appear to be cracks between some of them, but it's actually pressed like that on purpose to help the chain shift between gears. If it's not slipping under load or suffering chain suck (where the chain wraps round the chain ring and jams instead of shifting) then it's probably okay for a while longer. If it is, the only option is to replace the whole crankset and possibly the bottom bracket (the crank axle) too as the chances are a new crankset will need a different length axle.

katonda

Regular
Hi and :welcome: @katonda

Looking at your photos, you do not need the old style hanger that I've mentioned in the thread previously. Any of the derailleurs you've listed should do the job just fine. If choosing from the 20 Euro ones I'd personally probably pick the Acera as the ones I've had have been quite reliable.

Thanks for the quick answer @Rickshaw Phil, I'll get that one then. I recently replaced the brake cables and brake tubing, should I do the same for the gear cables or do they typically not need to be changed as often?

The chainrings are difficult to judge from the photo. It's a cheap pressed steel set which is likely to have some short teeth and what appear to be cracks between some of them, but it's actually pressed like that on purpose to help the chain shift between gears. If it's not slipping under load or suffering chain suck (where the chain wraps round the chain ring and jams instead of shifting) then it's probably okay for a while longer. If it is, the only option is to replace the whole crankset and possibly the bottom bracket (the crank axle) too as the chances are a new crankset will need a different length axle.

I'll save some money then and wait until something breaks. She hasn't mentioned any of these problems. Nonetheless, I don't think this bike is worth investing too much new gear in. The Dutch second hand market has plenty of quality bikes at good prices that would be a better investment in the long run.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Thanks for the quick answer @Rickshaw Phil, I'll get that one then. I recently replaced the brake cables and brake tubing, should I do the same for the gear cables or do they typically not need to be changed as often?
No problem.

I'd change the gear cables too if I were you. The gears are more sensitive to sticky cables than the brakes so replacing them every so often will just keep things sweet. The last bit of outer cable to the derailleur is particularly prone to gumming up due to dirt and water ingress.

I'll save some money then and wait until something breaks. She hasn't mentioned any of these problems. Nonetheless, I don't think this bike is worth investing too much new gear in. The Dutch second hand market has plenty of quality bikes at good prices that would be a better investment in the long run.
That sounds fine. When they do need replacing it doesn't have to be very expensive. Decathlon have this on their UK website which would do the job (assuming it is the same number of teeth): https://www.decathlon.co.uk/48-38-28-chainset-silver-id_8517148.html
Unfortunately the website doesn't say what length bottom bracket is required for that one (probably best to ask them in store when the current crisis is over if you have a branch locally) but as an example to gauge cost, this Shimano bottom bracket is £18 and will last for years: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/shimano-bb-un53-bottom-bracket-118mm-id_6145390.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom