Recommend Some Good Films

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member

vickster

Legendary Member
A few films that I can watch over and over again...a mixed bag in no particular order
Pretty Woman
The Devil Wears Prada
The American President
The King's Speech
The Last Emperor
Empire of the Sun
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Mississippi Burning
To Kill A Mockingbird
Au Revoir les enfants
The Fugitive
The Jungle Book (original Disney cartoon)
Aladdin
The Sound of Music
Evita
Chicago
Skyfall

Mrs Doubtfire is a good shout
I'm sure there are loads more. I tend to avoid films that are (needlessly imo) violent

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Definitely not in the Mrs Doubtfire category but 'Goodfellas' is worth a watch. Be prepared for a a lot of sweary stuff but a brilliant film with great acting from DeNiro, Joe Pesci, Paul Sorvino & Ray Liotta and a gripping storyline.
'Jackie Brown' is a great film too with DeNiro and Samuel L. Jackson. Great music too.
If you enjoy the books of Stephen King try 'Shawshank Redemption', ' Misery' & 'The Green Mile'. He is a superb story teller.
If you like French films the two part ' Jean de Floret' & 'Manon de Source' with Yves Montand & Gerard Depardieu is wonderful with beautiful cinematography.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Pulp Fiction,
American Beauty
Apocaliypto.

winjim

Smash the cistern
My favourite film The Devils by Ken Russell, although it's in a somewhat different genre to Mrs Doubtfire and probably not to everybody's taste. Otherwise just watch The Blues Brothers. Everybody likes The Blues Brothers.

Drago

Legendary Member
Hell or High Water.

A genuine under the radar masterpiece from 2016. A typically excellent performance from Jeff Bridges, but a wonderfully understated effort from Chris Pine who really proved he could act with this.Ben Foster is wonderfully menacing. Slow paced but nevertheless compelling plot, the whole film building to a fabulous crescendo, and ending with an utterly unexpected and brilliant confrontation between Bridges and Pine. The whole package is rounded off with slick imagery and a great soundtrack.

Seriously, get some beer and salty snacks on stand by this is one hell of a film.

Slioch

Guru
My 3 favourites, all watched multiple times, are...

The Good the bad and the ugly (Eli Wallach is awesome in this).
Pulp Fiction
Apocalyspe Now

"Debbie Does Dallas" is probably worth an honorary mention, but don't search for this on a work computer :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hell or High Water.

A genuine under the radar masterpiece from 2016. A typically excellent performance from Jeff Bridges, but a wonderfully understated effort from Chris Pine who really proved he could act with this.Ben Foster is wonderfully menacing. Slow paced but nevertheless compelling plot, the whole film building to a fabulous crescendo, and ending with an utterly unexpected and brilliant confrontation between Bridges and Pine. The whole package is rounded off with slick imagery and a great soundtrack.

Seriously, get some beer and salty snacks on stand by this is one hell of a film.
Ah - I recorded that recently, but haven't watched it yet. I will come back with my opinion once I have!

Boring safe answers:
Shawshank Redemption
Apollo 13
The Martian
The Matrix (thank goodness they never made any sequels to that)
However, my standout pick is probably:
Evil Dead 2
(Evil Dead 1 is a takes-itself-too-serious historical curiosity at best with some seriously sketchy stuff in it, and Army of Darkness swings into complete parody)

Top Bottom