Recommend some new (2018) music.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
So far this year, I've been impressed by the new Father John Misty album. I've also enjoyed the new Kurt Vile one and a couple of oldies but goodies in HMHB (but I'd walk to the ends of the earth for them) and Elvis Costello.

I always said I'd never end up like my father who'd moan at acts like David Bowie and T-Rex on TOTP but I'm struggling to stay up to date with some of the newer stuff so I'm handing this over to youse lot.

No re-issues, please and no hankering for pre-millennium stuff, just new album releases from the year we're about to wave a tearful goodbye to please.

Adam4868

Guru
The good the bad and the queen,Merrie Land.Genius !

bluenotebob

Veteran
I've had a quiet year - only added around 160 'new' albums. Nothing as far as I can see that was released in 2018. I don't much care when it was released (or when it was recorded) - if it moves me, then I'm happy.

Nice to see a mention of Aynsley Lister @raleighnut … I've got half a dozen of his recordings from 2003 to 2010, but nothing since - I'm pleased to know he's still out there and doing it.

If I had to single out anything 'new' that I've heard this year (even though it was released prior to 2018), it's the consistently good jazz fusion that's been coming out of Norway for the last 15 years or so. Per Mathisen (bass) and his brother Ole (saxophone) are two remarkably good musicians worth mentioning. But I think I'm probably on the wrong forum - I guess I should be on Jazz Chat, or something …

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Theres shed-loads of good new music out there this year.

Tune into Six music - you'll find lots.

Sorry too rubbish connection right now to post links..

But for example

Idles - Joy as an act of resistance

Goat Girl.

Beak

Anything by John Grant - always.

Public Service Broadcasting.

Anna Calvi,

Field Music

The Unthanks

The Lovely Eggs

War on Drugs .

Too many to mention really. some of above I've seen live this year

Anyone who says there isn't any good new music out there is clearly stuck in a house, car, or office with the radio permanently tuned either to Radio One or Two.

Get thee onto Six - that's where all the quality stuff is :smile:

Oh and Neils Frahm - hes got a new album out - good noodling music !!

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

But for example

Goat Girl.

Beak

Anna Calvi,

Field Music

The Unthanks

The Lovely Eggs

War on Drugs .

Anyone who says there isn't any good new music out there is clearly stuck in a house, car, or office with the radio permanently tuned either to Radio One or Two.

Tha quality music is on Absolute radio.:okay:

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member

But for example

Goat Girl.

Beak

Anna Calvi,

Field Music

The Unthanks

The Lovely Eggs

War on Drugs .

Oh and Neils Frahm - hes got a new album out - good noodling music !!
I'm a big fan of Radio 6 and the main reason I got the car I drive is because it's got digital radio so I can listen to that - until 4pm when I have to switch off double quick time being unable to bear Steve Lamaq - with Shaun Keaveny being my favourite.

Top Bottom