Recommendation for a petrol strimmer please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Hi, I have a small meadow at the bottom of my garden and I would like to strim it down myself instead of hiring gardeners to do it. I know I need a petrol strimmer as its really high weeds/grass and I was told that by the gardeners last year. I'm after one that had the loop handle on the shaft not the big wide bars and it needs to be straightforward to use in all aspects. Has anyone got any direct experience of petrol strimmers? and could you recommend one please? All the inexpensive ones people say are rubbish and I think £300 plus is a lot to fork out for something really thats going to be used on an occasional basis.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I bought a Ryobi one down here a couple of years ago, don’t think I paid much for it but works absolutely fine.

The motor is one thing, but getting the cutting string to last without continually snapping is something I've never mastered. The best I found was one I borrowed from a mate, that had a circular saw blade welded to the shaft as a cutter. :ohmy:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
There are loads in my area going 2nd hand. I'd start there. Secondly there are dozens of very affordable blades that will last much longer than cord. Thirdly, make sure whatever you buy has a harness. It's back breaking without one

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Is it not possible to hire? Or borrow?

I have a Stihl with wide bars that I’ve sort of inherited. It is possible to attach a harness. Quality piece of kit.
No one I know has one and for a little more than the cost of hiring you can buy one. I will keep looking locally but as I dont drive its difficult unless they deliver. I messaged someone yesterday about one but he wouldn't deliver it.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I have a large Stihl one which I bought off Facebook for £130, it's a two stroke and pretty noisy. No problem starting even though it only gets occasional use (I only do my meadow a couple of times a year).
Where I volunteer we have two Honda ones, which are four stroke and much quieter. They are around £450 new. Again, easy starters.
I prefer 3mm cord on both for grass, I would only use a blade on thick things like docks and thistles.
Steer away from cheaper two stroke ones, they can be a pig to start after a while.

That all said, depending on the size of the area you have, if it's not too large, I would also say get and learn how to use a scythe. Keep the blade razor sharp (memories flood back off me slicing open my thumb 40 years ago whilst I was sharpening one) and it's not hard.

presta

Guru
getting the cutting string to last without continually snapping is something I've never mastered
This.
I don't have a petrol one, but if they're the same PITA that my electric ones are, I don't want one. I rarely use mine because it's a bind stopping every 10-15 seconds to feed/rethread the cord after it breaks.

Top Bottom