Recommendation for a petrol strimmer please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
A strimmer under 30 odd ccs will struggle with meadow grass. You need a machine that will run a grass mowing blade, much like a smaller version of a lawnmower rotary blade.

The cheap machines will struggle.

Get someone in once a year. I can cut roughly 300m2 in just over an hour with a big Stihl Fs460 for a rough guide.

A good hand with a scythe can cut even faster. Scything is an art - there is a lot to learn and it can be very frustrating unless you are well taught.

Farm it out to a good operator, or leave it to grow over each year and die back Just keep the weed plants in check by selective cutting and root pulling. Great for wildlife.

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Yes I know but its costing me £150 to have a holly bush taken out and stump grinded,a big tree trimmed and a small hedge trimmed. It was £130 for the strim last year and the hedge. Knocking on £300 each Autumn is too much IMO. I'd rather do it myself.
I have been trimming bits with the general garden shears but the area is too much for this really.

OldShep

Über Member
I’ve had a Honda s trimmer for 15 years id never go back to a 2stroke.
Also get an aluminium head that can take a square 4mm cord. I find a fitting lasts a tank full even in tough areas.

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
In the end I hired a Stihl strimmer it was £30 and £10 delivery for all day and a tank of petrol. I did the strim in half and hour or so and then cleaned up the grass etc. It was worth it I think.
It was a professional one and it was easy to start and operate.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
In the end I hired a Stihl strimmer it was £30 and £10 delivery for all day and a tank of petrol. I did the strim in half and hour or so and then cleaned up the grass etc. It was worth it I think.
It was a professional one and it was easy to start and operate.

I was just about to mention that Lidl has a petrol strimmer with steel blade in store for £129.99 but I see you no longer need it.

Top Bottom