Recommendation on tyre replacement for hybrid bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Two-Wheels

After the thread where I picked up a puncture today, I'm looking at replacing the tyres on my bike.

Bike: Trek FX2 hybrid. If it's not the 2017 model then it's the 2016 but I think it's the 2017: https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2017/Trek/fx_2#/us/en/2017/Trek/fx_2/details

So the tyres & inner tubes are the originals. Bontrager H2 700x35c. That's what came with it as standard.

Now while puncture resistsant tyres would be nice, I read that they can come at the cost of speed. I've picked up 2 punctures in 3000 miles so I think I'll probably risk it as to be honest, competing against myself - doing various Strava segments, trying to beat my PRs, I enjoy doing that, so I don't want to put myself at a disadvantage from the off.

I'd say I'm pretty much road only but then in the past few weeks I've done about 20-30 mile of canal path cycling. It's not my preferred route though so I don't know how much more of that I'll be doing.

Fair weather cyclist too. The only way I'll be cycling in the rain is if I get caught out in it. I wont go out in it - in case that makes a difference to any suggestion.

Budget - I had a look at tyres and they don't seem too dear so just what do you recommend? If we're looking at £100 a pair then I'd say that's too much so cap it around £50-£70 for the pair.

I don't really know what I'm looking for so I'd just buy the first thing I saw.

If you need any more info that I haven't thought of in order to recommend then fire away & I'll get back to you next time I check in.

Thanks.

Jameshow

Veteran
Marathon / Supremes.

Conti have a good range.

Make sure they have Kevlar band in them.

Budget tyres I've used wiggle and decathlon. Much better than halfrauds own brand.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Marathon Supremes have been discontinued- to my annoyance- though you might find some still in stock somewhere.

Jameshow

Veteran

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Talking to a couple who have just reached Ayres rock. They are using Schwalbe Pick Up on their touring bikes and neither have had a puncture so far. Its what I will be getting next for my Koga World Traveller. Plus they are cheap.

Sharky

Guru
All tyres are puncture resistant, but some (inc tubeless) give the impression that they are puncture proof - but they are not 100%. The latter tend to be slower, heavier, less supple and are more difficult to put on and take off.

If you are well practiced in puncture repairs and having punctures out on the road is no problem, then going for the "proof" tyres is going to give you trouble free rides and even if you do puncture, it won't present any problem to you.

But if you are still inexperienced in puncture repairs, it might be better to use the "non-proof " tyres as these tend to be easier when it comes to taking off and on. Could also be lighter and faster. Accepting more frequent punctures, but having an easier time repairing them might be a better compromise. Two or three punctures a year, should be acceptable. More than this, certainly go for the more puncture resistant tyres.

This might sound like an odd way of looking at things, but becoming fully proficient in puncture repairs should be the aim.
Good luck

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
There are two types of puncture proofing a thick layer of rubber or a layer of Kevlar.

First is heavy and deadening second is lighter esp if combined with a Kevlar bead.

Top Bottom