Recommendations for 700x38c ish touring / gravel tyres please..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Schwalbe Land Cruisers here too holding out just fine.

^^^ This. Land Cruisers meet all your requirements with the added benefit of being cheap as chips.
I've got them on my hybrid and can't see any reason to fit anything else when I eventually wear them out.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Billy bargains: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOWT/vittoria-voyager-wired-tyre

Don't know these tyres, but
I have these Vittoria Revolution on my Specialized Tricross, probably covered at least 1500 miles with no punctures as yet, I like them so much I bought 2 extra sets just in case they are ever unavailable.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIREVTECH/vittoria-revolution-tech-g-rigid-tyre

View attachment 517891
As mentioned above, for summer use the 32mm Conti Gatorskin would be a good choice too.
I really like Vittoria tyres, by & large, but the 30tpi construction would put me off those, I must confess.

(Yours, still waiting for 120tpi Randonneur Pros to come back in stock in 700x32 Planet X...)

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Cheers guys - I much appreciate all the thoughts :smile:

I wasn't even aware of Compass and I like the look and promises about ride quality and rolling resistance, however am put off by their apparenty thin-ness and its implications on longevity and puncture protection - how are those of you who use these tyres finding them in these respects? They're probably too rich for my shallow pockets anyway!

I like the look of the Specilized Sawtooth, however they're a bit spendy and those in the link a bit too wide at 42c. Plus I had a very poor experience with the last Spec. tyre I used, so am not falling over myself to try another tbh.

There's certainly a lot of love for the Schwalbes on here! I'll do a bit more digging in terms of spec but don't want to go too far down the "double-hard puncture resistant" route as I don't want to compromise mass or rolling resistance too much. I think the M+ are definitely out on these grounds, but I'll look at the standard version and Racers as well as the Land Cruisers and Mondials as the tread pattern on both looks like it'd do well both on and off road.

I'm quite drawn to the G-One (mainly because of the tubeless compatability and I like the tread / aesthetic) - @Venod, how do you find their wear resistance? Their fatness is also a bit worrying as my clearance is a little limited; do you know what size rims you're running to give that 40mm width?

Unfortunately I can't find the Clement Xplor anywhere and it appears it's been discontinued; somewhat unsurprising I guess as it was replaced on the CdF by the Riddlers I'm currently running last year or the year before IIRC. Shame as it looks like nice rubber!

I'm liking the look of the Vittoria Revolutions (shiny strip possibly notwithstanding!) and am a fan of the brand based on the Zaffiro Pros that came with my road bike, which has so far given excellent service. @Spiderweb - how do you find their performance off road? Which size are you running? I fear that 40-622 might be a bit wide, although I've got to do a bit of homework into ETRTO measurements versus the old French convention as I don't want to buy summot that doesn't fit! Defintely one for the shortlist I think :smile:

The Voyagers look like a decent bet as a pure-road touring tyre; although again I'm not sure how well that tread would handle off-road excursions.

Looks like the Conti Contacts have now sold out in 37c, although Planet X currently have Sport Contact IIs on offer at a quite frankly ridiculous £7ea; if these are the same spec as those tested by Bicycle Rolling Resistance in 2016 they appear to be amongst the best in terms of rolling resistance, however their puncture proofing is doubtless inferior to some of Schwalbe's offerings and I'm not convinced by how well the semi-slick tread would handle off-road excursions. For the price I'm tempted to get a pair just to try; although I suspect they're not tubeless compatable either, which I'd prefer..

Thanks again for all the help; lots of stuff to look into / keep me out of trouble over the coming week of cack weather!

In other news I spent forever fixing yesterday's puncture. The tyre was noticeably tight on the rim but came off without too much of a struggle with some decent tyre levers. The innertube looked cheap but I guess you can't judge a book by it's cover.. it was patched successfully (albeit with a massive blue-edged tyre patch as it was all I had left) and the fun began when I tried to re-seat the tyre.

Perhaps this was such a swine because it's my first experience with tubeless compatable tyres... I re-fitted the one side of they tyre I'd removed and pumped it up to a suitable working pressure; the beads refusing to seat and leaving the tyre all kinds of p*ssed on the rim; high and low spots at its edges, one big radial deflection and snaking from side to side across the rim as the wheel spun.

I tried all manner of manipulation to correct the issues but it remained utterly terrible. In the end I sprayed some rain water onto the beads and pumped the tyre up to silly (25c-ish) pressures; which squared it up to about the same not-perfect-but-acceptable trueness on the rim it had originally. I'm aware of how tubeless tyres are meant to be seated so perhaps this approach needs to be followed when using them with a tube too..? I certainly think that you'd need a high volume dump / tank setup with these Riddlers since even having been fitted and run for several hundred miles with tubes the beads still didn't seem particularly bothered about sitting close to the rims.

Anyway, it's sorted now but I hope the next time I have to take these off is to replace them!

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I’m running the 38mm, I’ve only ridden the farm tracks near where I live and always when they are dry and dusty, I can’t imagine they would suit muddy wet conditions.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
I'm quite drawn to the G-One (mainly because of the tubeless compatability and I like the tread / aesthetic) - @Venod, how do you find their wear resistance? Their fatness is also a bit worrying as my clearance is a little limited; do you know what size rims you're running to give that 40mm width?

They seem to be wearing very well, with quite a lot of road use, not scientific, but I have beaten some PBs I set on 25mm tyres, they are available in 32 and 36mm also, the rims I have them on are 23mm Internal width.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I’m running the 38mm, I’ve only ridden the farm tracks near where I live and always when they are dry and dusty, I can’t imagine they would suit muddy wet conditions.
Thanks! To be fair I don't really suit muddy wet conditions either, so that shouldn't be a huge problem providing I can avoid the stupid urge to ride tracks I shouldn't :tongue:

They seem to be wearing very well, with quite a lot of road use, not scientific, but I have beaten some PBs I set on 25mm tyres, they are available in 32 and 36mm also, the rims I have them on are 23mm Internal width.
Thanks - that sounds promising! I think 23mm is fairly wide (mine are 19mm) so I guess it's to be expected that they might come up a bit oversize on the width. I'll add these to the shortlist!

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

So...

I've committed to a pair of 37-622 Conti Sport Contact II; swayed by their apparently great rolling resistance, price and tbh sheer novelty of such a fat, slick road tyre. I got hustled into the purchase by Planet X's "flash sale" which ended last night; although they're still the same £7ea today :rolleyes:

I'm intrigued to try these as they'll probably be about as fast-rolling as I'll get on this bike / in this size, while from a tread perspective it'll be interesting to see how this worst-case scenario fares off-road. Obviously they'll be crap in mud, but then so would anything that would give reasonable performance on the road (which is where the bike will see the most use). Doubtless they'll be crap on grass too (while more cross-type tyres would obviously be better) but I've got high hopes for them on hard pack and roughish but secure tracks. Tread aside I'm expecting the greater volume and lower pressure to help to some extent off-road..

On to more rugged offerings and I'm tempted to give the Marathon Mondials or Marathon Cross a go; as they both have pretty uninterrupted centre treads which should be good on-road, along with a fairly pronounced shoulder tread which should help in the dirt. They're also significantly lighter than the others in the Marathon range, although I guess this probably comes at the expense of puncture protection. The Schwalbe website suggests great rolling resistance too, but I've not found this backed up by any independent testers.

In the end I decided against the standard Marathons on mass grounds (810g ea!) and the less-aggressive shoulder tread than the two above. Similarly, according to Schwalbe's website the Land Cruisers are inferior in most ways to the two above; however I'm a bit skeptical of the official ratings and would prefer some independent tests to verify. As much as I love their ethos and aesthetic, the G-Ones were passed over since I reckon their relatively fine tread will wear rapidly on the road compared to the alternatives. I liked Vittoria's offerings too, but was put off by their weight and lack of independent CRR data.

Pretty much everything I've looked at so far has been old school wired touring fare; which are significantly cheaper than the new wave of trendy folding / tubeless tyres touted for gravel / cross. Not sure yet whether I'm missing a trick in my choice or just sidestepping a load of marketing-driven price-gouging. Either way, I figure (potentially) £40ish to test both the Conti slicks and knobbly-ish Schwalbe Cross isn't a terrible outlay to experience two fairly opposite ends of the spectrum; when I could potentially spend this much on just one trendy gravel tyre..

Either way I need something more road-friendly than the original-fitment Riddlers as I reckon the centre tread will be gone by 500 miles of roadish use; by which point I might as well arguably be running slicks anyway.

It would be nice to source a spare set of rims to make swapping between two different types of tyre viable; however unless a pair of the much-maligned OEM Jalcos crop up cheap there's little chance of this happening.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom