Recommendations for a 160 kg guy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
press ups x 100
sit ups x 100
squats x 100

Every day

Whilst riding a bike?

Impressive.

Nebulous

Guru
Hi there good luck to you. Keep it up. Remember one slip doesn't ruin the whole project. A bad day, or a bad week, is simply that. It isn't an excuse to walk away and give up. I remember someone saying this isn't defined by speed or distance, its defined by direction - keep heading in the right direction.

My story is that at slightly under 5 feet 10 I slowly put on weight from my late 20s to late 40s. I only made it to 18.5 stone, but realised it was having a huge impact on my life, breaking chairs, being out of breath, being worried about exceeding weight limits for equipment. I began to lose weight, got down to just under 16 stone and found I was stuck, so I bought a bike. That changed my life. The bike became much more important than my weight. I lost about 5.5 stone, but it took me 15 months, at about a pound a week. Remember the speed isn't important.

More importantly perhaps, I'm now 10 years on and have kept most of the weight off. I'm still cycling, do long-distance endurance stuff and am fitter than I was in my 30s, at almost 60. So it can be done. I tried to run a calorie deficit Monday to Friday, and a balanced diet Saturday and Sunday, hoping I'd prevent a slowdown in my metabolism - almost a reverse 5:2 diet.

People who say exercise doesn't matter compared with calories in, are sort of right, if you do 40 minutes in a gym and think that is enough to justify a meal, but it doesn't apply in the same way to cycling serious distances. I can burn an extra 600 calories an hour quite readily on the bike. 10 hours a week, about 150-160 miles is 6000 calories. A pound of fat is worth about 3700 calories. If you are doing 10 hours a week of fairly strenuous exercise, without increasing your dietary intake that is worth almost 2 pounds a week. I'll put on half a stone in the autumn as my cycling slows down, and will take it off again in the spring, without really trying, as my mileage increases.

Anyway good luck. It can be done, but it needs a determined long-term commitment, however it is worth it.

Don't worry about the bike. Robust wheels with plenty of spokes will be fine. The most important thing is to take it out and push your limits, health and doctor permitting.

ExBrit

Über Member
I’d say get a mtn bike. Smaller wheels are inherently stronger. A bike that can take wider tyres will also help deal with your current weight. Also the higher the spoke count the better. Well done on deciding to take up cycling.

Ming, as usual, nailed it.

Riding the bike is more important than the bike you're riding.

1. As soon as you can - pat yourself on the back for losing weight and wanting to up your game with a bike
2. You are going to lose weight - your ideal bike today will not be your ideal bike in a year - consider used or cheap for now
3. Think Cro-moly with wide tires and lots of spokes - Schwinn, Huffy, Beach Cruiser, low-end mountain bike, Gravel, Touring. Make sure it is sized for you.
4. Find good people to ride with - the motivation is priceless. Your local bike club is the best place to start
5. Put your bike rides on your schedule first, after family and before everything else. OK - second
6. Don't be afraid to wear lycra if that's what is comfortable for you. Heck, wear a clown costume if that's what floats your boat.
7. Figure out what you are going to do with the extra 10 quality years of your life.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

D_97_goodtimes

Fascinating

I did not expect my simple comments to get any response at all.

Here is my logic.

A strong set of core muscles will help with general health and fitness.

A steel framed bicycle can be used and abused and will come back for more - it is a functional tool.

Spending less on the bike leaves cash for a Personal trainer.

The exercises do not have to be done in one session - start with 1 and build up. Bodyweight only.

Patience, consideration and tolerance.

sasquath

Well done on getting weight loss going .

If you manage to find one big enough get second hand bike. I recon 90% riders are under 6' so 90% used bikes are going to be too small.

Wheel size does not matter as long as it has 36 spokes.

With your weight you want upright position or your wrists will suffer badly.

Proposed Carrera bike has low bars, my gf rides it and we had to fit taller stem and riser handlebars to help with wrists strain.
I'm afraid most Mtb/hybrid bikes will be like that.

Trek Verve springs to mind, nice upright bike but rated at 136 kg load, and 32 spoke wheels. £675 isn't budget either.

This is cheap, steel, will take a beating and and seat looks like a sofa ;)
If wheel fails you'll have spare money to get one stonger built. And when you get closer to your target weight it will be easie to justify the upgrade.
https://www.cycleking.co.uk/attributes/specification/ammaco-madrid-comuter-hybrid-bike-black__455

Alternative is to take a Mtb /hybrid and put in new fork with maximum length of tube left and put spacers under the stem. Will take a picture tomorrow to show what I mean.

Don't avoid all hills, walking bike up them is no shame, and also an exercise ;).
Plus you will get some serious speed on the way down :tongue:.

Mtb weight limits are based on trashing that bike on a proper Mtb track. Just take it easy on/off the kerbs and you'll be fine.

Seats on new bikes are aimed at fit and furious cyclists, just get aftermarket one easy and cheap enough to swap.

Last edited:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Hi, I'd recommend going to either WW or Slimming World as well because the majority of weight loss is through what you eat, although obviously exercise helps. Its very hard to shift stones and stones just through cycling just by itself. I know because I've been there and bought the T shirt.
Personally I'd get a MTB as the wheels will be stronger than a road bike. Good luck with it all.

Top Bottom