Recommendations for a bike with disk brakes for commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
slowmotion said:
Somebody here (Neil ?) said about 10 kg....

http://www.iseepeople.co.uk/firemonkey/blog/?p=352
Cheers for the link.
Norm said:
Indeed, lovely looker and lovely spec sheet. My only qualms would be the gearing, a compact on the front and a 12/25 on the rear. I'd like lower than that but that's because I'm a fat git who hates hills.
It's a definite contender for me now norm,but like you I'm not some lightweight hill climbing machine so may struggle with that gearing.
But by the time I would be getting one I will hopefully be much lighter:smile:

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well he spent some time in Halfords looking at them and he has suddenly remembered that he would have loved the bike to be red! (His first bike was red apparently). He is put off both the Boardmans and the Croix de Fer by what he thinks is their desirablility to the wrong sort of people - he's had bits stolen off his bike at work in the past.

He did pop into Evans yesterday... but didn't see the Croix de Fer and didn't ask either.

He's getting more tempted by the Roadrat... which he thinks is less eye catching ... and I think looks nice.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Piemaster said:
I was going to suggest a Giant Seek, but

sort of rules it out. Nice looking in the flesh too - lbs has one in.

Hmm... haven't seen that one... I'll show him when he gets in... reminds me of the Escape:biggrin: but shinyier! (sp?)

summerdays said:
Hmm... haven't seen that one... I'll show him when he gets in... reminds me of the Escape:biggrin: but shinyier! (sp?)

Looks very much like an evolution of the Escape to me. mtb style frame and 700c wheels (my escape has 26" but later ones have 700c). Looks like bolt in dropouts for the different requirements of geared hub or dérailleur drivetrains.

And it is very, very shiny.

skrx

summerdays said:

I have a Giant Escape M0, which has disc brakes. I'm very pleased with it! Although the only other bikes I've used have cost < £100, so I can't really compare it with anything.

Debian said:
you should only use the front brake in emergency stopping conditions.

I use the front brake most of the time. I'm very familiar with the response, and I'm used to reaching for it without thinking. In an emergency I'm less likely to lock the wheel or go for the wrong brake compared to someone who uses the rear brake all the time and saves the front for emergencies.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
skrx said:
I have a Giant Escape M0, which has disc brakes.

So do both Piemaster and me:biggrin:

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mr Summerdays has yet to actually do anything more than browse the internet and wander into Evans one Saturday when he was in town with the children. However since at his work they are opening the Bike to Work Scheme at the beginning of July he ought to get a move on and start looking if he is going to buy through it - he's not sure if its worth the risk - its being run by Cyclescheme and apparently the bikes will be valued at the end.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Piemaster said:
Resurecting an older thread and don't know if Mr summerdays has a bike yet but just noticed this browsing the On-One website. Would be a fine commuter IMO.

That's a nice looking bike (if you ignore the fact that they photographed it with the quick release on that side:biggrin:).

g00se

Veteran
summerdays said:
Mr Summerdays has yet to actually do anything more than browse the internet and wander into Evans one Saturday when he was in town with the children. However since at his work they are opening the Bike to Work Scheme at the beginning of July he ought to get a move on and start looking if he is going to buy through it - he's not sure if its worth the risk - its being run by Cyclescheme and apparently the bikes will be valued at the end.

The valuation thing at the end is standard - it's so it passes the tax rules for being 'hired' up until that point. The price you pay at the end is invariably about the same as you paid for one month.

Top Bottom