Recommendations for a bike with disk brakes for commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoysOfSight

Since the OP seems quite happy with disc brakes, I would second the recommendation to look at the Croix de Fer. My better half is trying to replace her commuter just now (a generic sort of racer, a Dawes Giro something) and we also had a requirement for discs when looking around - this is the frontrunner.

It's unfortunate that you can't get hydraulic discs with brifters, but such is life. To be honest we have a mix of BB5s, BB7, Juicy and Elixir brakes on the "fleet" and while I prefer the hydraulics, all are vastly better than rim.

I'd love to meet someone in real life whose rim brakes stop them as fast in the rain as discs do, just to see what their secret is. The "braking" I get from my dual caliper / ceramic Open Pro on my oldest bike is terrible in comparison (Biggest waste of money ever? It's a contender!)

The weight penalty is so small that I challenge anyone to tell two bikes apart where the only difference is the brakes fitted.

viniga

Guru
I use a Cube Hooper for commuting. It came with hydraulic disk brakes. Quite happy with it. Should just be within your price range. The Shimano Nexus hub gears add a bit of weight on the back though.

Main advantage of this bike is reduced maintainance. I ride it through every winter and in all conditions, great all rounder.

bauldbairn

JoysOfSight said:
...I would second the recommendation to look at the Croix de Fer. My better half is trying to replace her commuter just now (a generic sort of racer, a Dawes Giro something) and we also had a requirement for discs when looking around - this is the frontrunner.

I looked at the Genesis C de F too - a lovely bike. :ohmy:
If no good LBS discounts can be found, the Edinburgh Bike Coop had them for £850 in their last 15% off sale - and one's due soon!!! :smile:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
summerdays said:
Mr Summerdays is in the early stages of thinking about getting a new bike. This is more just to get a few suggestions bikes to look for rather than about to buy. His current bike has front suspension and he fitted the disk brakes himself. He isn't bothered about having suspension and would consider going towards the road bikes but definitely wants the disk brakes. He has a preference for hydraulic brakes rather than mechanical though not essential.

What is out there for a max £1000 although he would probably prefer less than £800.

He would like the bike to be lighter than his current 15 kg one.

As more bikes with disk brakes are appearing for the commuting market is it worth hanging on for this next years new bikes?

Sounds like he needs to try a Genesis Croix de Fer :ohmy:

If he wants disk brakes on a road bike then they have to be mechanical, as hydraulic brakes are not compatible with STI levers.

potsy

Rambler
HJ said:
Sounds like he needs to try a Genesis Croix de Fer :ohmy:

If he wants disk brakes on a road bike then they have to be mechanical, as hydraulic brakes are not compatible with STI levers.
I want one now and I wasn't even looking for another bike:biggrin:
Anyone know the weight of it? Looks a great winter commuter bike to me.

Norm

potsy said:
I want one now and I wasn't even looking for another bike:biggrin:
Anyone know the weight of it? Looks a great winter commuter bike to me.
Indeed, lovely looker and lovely spec sheet. My only qualms would be the gearing, a compact on the front and a 12/25 on the rear. I'd like lower than that but that's because I'm a fat git who hates hills.

Howard

slowmotion said:
Somebody here (Neil ?) said about 10 kg....

http://www.iseepeople.co.uk/firemonkey/blog/?p=352

I'm struggling to believe that a steel frame bike with disc specific components weighs in around the same as my CAAD9 or a Boardman carbon.

Nice looking bike though.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Howard said:
I'm struggling to believe that a steel frame bike with disc specific components weighs in around the same as my CAAD9 or a Boardman carbon.

Nice looking bike though.

Boardman Team Carbon is 8kg.

My hybrid pro is 9.6 kg, and that has discs.....

Howard

Cubist said:
Boardman Team Carbon is 8kg.

If you like riding without pedals :biggrin:

Yes ok pedals don't weigh that much...but I did say "around" in my post.

Cubist said:
My hybrid pro is 9.6 kg, and that has discs.....

And an alu frame and a carbon fork. These tend to be lighter than steel, no? My point was that steel bikes don't come light at that price point with that hardware.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
late to the fray...

flat barred commute or drop barred commute?
fast hybrid style or slower tourer style?
urban or urbane?

If the latter three, EBC Revolution Country Explorer is a multi-talented bit of kit.
If the former go buy one of young Mr Christopher Boardman's finest.

Croix de Fer is a great bike. I got to ride one a few weeks back. Just the thing for city streets, I think. I'd go for slicker tyres than the original spec, but the setup is very good otherwise, and the handling is great.

The Marin Toscano is a cracking bike, too.

Matty

Not sure if I'm too late here and at the risk of going back on topic, I've got a Roadrat and it is excellent. I'm single speed, but they do the Alfine since I got mine.

Old bike was hydraulic rim brakes. New bike is hydraulic discs. Discs are much, much better for the winter commuting when your rims are coating in salt/crud etc.

Perfect commuter machine, well for me anyway.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I haven't read all the posts, but I've just picked up my Specialized Crosstrail, which I really like. It's more of a hybrid than a pure commuter, but might be worth a look.

The model I got (Expert) was £750 and has hydraulic discs.

Top Bottom