Recommendations for a bike with disk brakes for commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bauldbairn

Howard said:
What Norm said.

You could also look at the Scott Sub 10 and the Charge Mixer.

Rykard said:
Genesis Croix De Fer (sp?) ?

+1 what they said and add the Raleigh SF3.0.

I bought a Boardman Pro with Hydros for the same reasons as you and Mr Summerdays want discs - no rim wear/squid ink gunk/predictable braking performance wet and dry. :becool:

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm going to give him the list and he can then start reading up about them all and deciding which ones to try and get hold of for a test ride. Thanks for your suggestions.

I've just been looking on the Roadrat site and noticed they have the disk on the right hand side on the front - I've read about it on their geek page so I can see they did it for a reason but does anyone on here have one set up like that ....?

stevepratt48

Disc brakes are wonderful - as long as you go for hydraulic! Cable discs are more of a cosmetic (Except, maybe, the avid ball-bearing ones...) I use Avid Juicy 5's, with 8" front, my wife's is Hayes '9', again with 8" front. They do all that could be asked of a brake, no rim wear, broken/loose spokes (in emergency) are less of an issue.
If you want discs, not suspension, Kona make the 'Project 2' fork, rigid, disc. I'm sure there will be others!
Good luck.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think he would be prepared to go with cable disk brakes and assume that he would upgrade them later if that was possible. Am I right in thinking that any drop handled bike with disk brakes only ever come with cable disk brakes?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
summerdays said:
Am I right in thinking that any drop handled bike with disk brakes only every come with cable disk brakes?

Yes, No one has created a hydraulic braking system that works with road brake levers yet

Catrike UK said:
No, a properly set up rim brake with the right pads is equal to a disc brake set up. The only time a disc set up will be better is in extreme mud.

What about wear and tear?

Out on a long day's ride in wet weather when efficient braking is essential, you don't want to be worrying about whether you've got enough rubber left on your pads!

Here's a guide for the OP!

http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/help/advice-on-buying-brake-pads

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Steve Austin said:
Yes, No one has created a hydraulic braking system that works with road brake levers yet

Is there a reason for that? Because there isn't much demand or a technical reason?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
A few reasons imo.
Weight-hydraulics are heavier. Simplicity-cables are easier. complicated-i reckon its gonna be really tricky to get a lever/shifter that isn't huge/heavy and isn't prohibitively expensive to the market place.

and disc brakes aren't readily accepted by many as worthwhile on roadbikes yet, i think we've seen that on this thread already!
I ride a drop bar bike with discs, its great. Steady reliable braking all year round. No grey sludge wearing out rims, so in theory my wheels should last forever! and, the braking is a lot better than any canti brakes i have ever used.

Dayvo said:
What about wear and tear?

Out on a long day's ride in wet weather when efficient braking is essential, you don't want to be worrying about whether you've got enough rubber left on your pads!

Here's a guide for the OP!

http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/help/advice-on-buying-brake-pads

I concede that rim brakes cause wear to the rim, as to your second point, would you go out with worn out disc brake pads? Or cracked or warped discs?

Catrike UK said:
I concede that rim brakes cause wear to the rim, as to your second point, would you go out with worn out disc brake pads? Or cracked or warped discs?

Of course not!

But in the course of a 100+ miles day trip in wet hilly conditions (selecting a scenario to demonstrate my point) new pads soon become worn!

Do you not think the bike mechanics on the pro teams don't change their riders' pads after every day's riding?

Top Bottom