Recommendations for a chain tensioner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Tricky, sods law says using half links is that the chain is just very slightly slack or too tight to fit in the dropout

There's always an eccentric bottom bracket :smile:

Shaun

Hello Jenkins,started a conversation with you:okay:.

Not sure what you mean by a 'single speed' chain. Chains are generally either 3/32 or 1/8 pitch, single speed or not.

The bike would need track ends, not vertical dropouts, in order to be able to do that.

First off I set out to Google "single speed chain" but then I realised you and I both know already that such products exist. I've no idea what makes them vastly different to multispeed chains.

S-Express

First off I set out to Google "single speed chain" but then I realised you and I both know already that such products exist. I've no idea what makes them vastly different to multispeed chains.

Your google results are probably returning 1/8 chains, which is the traditional single speed width. The OP is almost certainly still on 3/32, which is the standard width for multi-speed chains. So fitting a single speed chain, while technically possible, is not going to solve anything.

midlife

Guru
A slight digression.....I'm just about old enough to remember 1" pitch chains and the chanrings that went with them....

One-Inch-1-Pitch-C34-Williams-Chainring-24.jpg

And just about young enough to remember the 10mm Shimano jobbies.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7098&g2_serialNumber=2.jpg

Shaun

OP
OP
Jenkins

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Thanks to all and just to confirm, I am running a converted 10 speed freehub with a Planet X conversion kit (spacers and a cog) on a bike that runs vertical dropouts with no means of horizontal adjustment to keep the chain (3/32nds and a spare 10 speed I had lying around) tensioned, hence the need for something like the Doofer to take the place of the rear dérailleur using the same mounting.

@Elybazza61 - I'll send a reply shortly - thanks

Top Bottom