Recommendations For A Decent Comfort Saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
Hi all,

I've probably done about 20 miles on my new bike since I got it and on the ride home today I found myself standing rather than sitting as my bum was getting sore. The saddle currently on the bike is standard and pretty rigid and I was wondering whether I'd get used too the saddle over time or whether I should get a more comfortable one.

If I opt for a new saddle I'd not really want to spend more than £25 so has anyone got a recommendation for a decent looking and comfortable saddle in this price range?

Thanks in advance,

GOAB

There is no such thing as a universally comfortable saddle. Asking what saddle won't hurt is like asking what wife will suit you. You have to try out plenty before you find the right one.
Further, all saddles hurt at first. You have to get miles in before even thinking of changing. Report back when you've done 500kms.

OP
OP
greekonabike

greekonabike

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-spoon-saddle-with-cromo-rails/

Hard to say what will work for you as whats good for me may not be good for you. I use this on my commuter,I found it comfortable right away and its in your price range

I know it's a question with an incredibly variable answer. I guess I was really just wondering how long I should try to adjust to the current saddle before considering another one. Thanks for your advice and the link.

GOAB.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Charge spoon here too, I found the saddle that came with my boardman was just too uncomfortable despite giving my backside plenty of time to adjust. The charge spoon I settled into almost immediately.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Rigid/firm saddles are better than soft ones.
Are you wearing padded shorts?
Where does it hurt?
What saddle is it?
What bike?
Is the saddle adjusted properly?

If it really is agony, @Inertia suggestion of a Spoon is pretty good start for the price.

OP
OP
greekonabike

greekonabike

Rigid/firm saddles are better than soft ones.
Are you wearing padded shorts?
Where does it hurt?
What saddle is it?
What bike?
Is the saddle adjusted properly?

If it really is agony, @Inertia suggestion of a Spoon is pretty good start for the price.

Not wearing padded shorts
General cheek area
Standard Giant saddle on an Escape 2
Adjusted properly

I guess I didn't really expect to get an arse ache from a saddle but then I guess that shows my naivety towards it really. I'll give it a while and if I'm still having issue I'll have a good look at the Spoon. Cheers for your help.

GOAB.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Not wearing padded shorts
General cheek area
Standard Giant saddle on an Escape 2
Adjusted properly

I guess I didn't really expect to get an arse ache from a saddle but then I guess that shows my naivety towards it really. I'll give it a while and if I'm still having issue I'll have a good look at the Spoon. Cheers for your help.

GOAB.
No probs, it takes a while for your ar5e to get used to sitting on a small contact area. Ideally you are on your 'sit-bones' with no other fleshy parts in contact or chaffing. So persevere for a while. Shorts or padded undergrunts help a lot. But often it takes a while to find the saddles that work best for us. I find the Spoon is great. I also have 2 Brooks B17 which are even better and on the Brompton I can ride all day in just regular lightweight non-cycling summer shorts without issue.

Good luck!

Triple3

I too am looking at a new saddle for new bike. Prologo as they are in the shop or a brooks. I use a charge spoon and ordered new bike with one but find I get a numb widgy. Been recommended a semi round saddle and the prologo but a search on hear shows many people selling them as not to liking.
For short distances I recommend a charge spoon but over an hours riding I don't find that comfy

Further, all saddles hurt at first. You have to get miles in before even thinking of changing.

thats rubbish - ive just done 4000km on a saddle out of the box without getting sore or a bad bum - I couldnt tell you what make and model it is - I just picked it by eye in the shop - it is a matter of knowing what suits you - no good taking other peoples opinions

Sharky

Guru
Hi all,

I've probably done about 20 miles on my new bike since I got it and on the ride home today I found myself standing rather than sitting as my bum was getting sore. The saddle currently on the bike is standard and pretty rigid and I was wondering whether I'd get used too the saddle over time or whether I should get a more comfortable one.

If I opt for a new saddle I'd not really want to spend more than £25 so has anyone got a recommendation for a decent looking and comfortable saddle in this price range?

Thanks in advance,

GOAB
You say "new bike". Does that mean you have an old bike as well? Was the saddle comfortable on that bike? Suggest swapping the saddle to the new bike or comparing the tilt and fore/aft position of the saddle and make the same.

Top Bottom