Recommendations for a vacuum cleaner?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Electrolux - gone, lasted years but not the strongest suction compared to others.

Vax - gone, not impressed.

Dyson - gone, good when new but didn't last long.

Miele - strongest suction of any vacuum we have had, just really abused it after knocking down an internal wall & hoovering all the dust and debris with it, I had to completely strip it to give it a good clean, very maintenance friendly.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Henry or Sebo.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
We've had our Dyson for 14 years,it's never gone wrong, we've replace a couple parts, a new tube and I broke an attachment which I replace with a second hand one from eBay. I keep the filters clean and clean the brush head, I think it's served us well in this world of built in obsolescence. It does a good job of vacuuming the cat and dog hairs, the mess I make when decorating and so on. They are not cheap, but when the Dyson Dc01 shuffles of this mortal coil I shall get another one.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Save some money get a Vax. I was looking for a new one 2 years ago and the prices of Dysons seemed way over the top. I used to have a Dyson animal or something or other before I split with the wife. That was really expensive and also heavy. The Vax is way lighter, it has just as much if not more suction. I just like value for money more so with boring vacuum cleaners and this has been superb so far.

Downsides: doesn't have a wand so a touch more faffing, but I don't think about that now. The dust collector part is not as big as a Dyson so has to be emptied a bit more, still no big deal not like it is every time it is used or something.

Pro's: It costs quite a bit less than half of that of a Dyson. The suction is as good if not better, it is way lighter and still pretty well built. The one I have is in the link below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vax-U90-MA-R-Multicyclonic-Upright-Bagless/dp/B003MPA5GY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402306338&sr=8-1&keywords=vax vacuum cleaner

Last edited:

Tyke

Miele
Infinitely more powerful than the Dyson which preceded it - even when the bag's full..
Fully agree and on the plus side the bits don`t keep falling off.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I have a George (Henry's big brother) that I picked up for naff-all that I use in the garage where I restore my TR7. It picks up metal shavings, filler dust etc with no bother. Dysons work well at first, but are too much of a faff to look after - cleaning filters, etc. George just keeps going and going...

Mr Celine

Discordian
We've had our Dyson for 14 years,it's never gone wrong, we've replace a couple parts, a new tube and I broke an attachment which I replace with a second hand one from eBay. I keep the filters clean and clean the brush head, I think it's served us well in this world of built in obsolescence. It does a good job of vacuuming the cat and dog hairs, the mess I make when decorating and so on. They are not cheap, but when the Dyson Dc01 shuffles of this mortal coil I shall get another one.

Our Dyson is nearly 14 - bought while in the middle of building a house extension. It coped with all the plaster dust etc and everything else since. It's needed 2 new hoses and a couple of repairs to the mains cable but nothing else. Easily outlasted its predecessors.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Thanks for the input everybody, seems to be a pattern emerging here, certainly narrowed the choices down

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Our Dyson is nearly 14 - bought while in the middle of building a house extension. It coped with all the plaster dust etc and everything else since. It's needed 2 new hoses and a couple of repairs to the mains cable but nothing else. Easily outlasted its predecessors.

Aye, I forgot that, a new hose and two flex repairs on mine as well.

Top Bottom