Recommendations for a vacuum cleaner?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

My aged Dyson expired in a cloud of grey foul smelling smoke this morning and is no more!! It was left here by the previous owners of my house, 4 years ago, so not done bad.

Living by myself without a woman to tell me what to do, and not being an expert on these issues, what is a decent make to go for? I want something that will last well and do a good job.

Many thanks:thumbsup:

ScotiaLass

Guru
I'd say stick with a Dyson!
I had one for years with no issue....I've had a new one every 18 months or so since then...think I'll go back to a Dyson!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We had a couple of Dysons but they all packed up or bits fell off or were returned under guarantee,. We now have a couple of Numatic "Henry"s. I have noticed that a very large number of professional cleaners use them too. For all his reputation as a brilliant innovator ( which he is ), his vacuums fail to deliver on the floor. Cost a fortune too.

BTW, don't even think of getting a VAX. Utter sh1te.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Miele- Always kept the floors clean at the store, never once in the 10 years I was at that one did it need anything besides belts and bags. Electrolux makes a line called Sanitaire, also excellent. Only 5 years in the other store before the photo industry went other ways than retail, so I cannot compare over 10 years there.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I always pick up a second hand Dyson from one of the house clearance type places. Never paid more than £50. The shop lets you try them out and then gives a month's warranty. I reckon that elderly people (who've sadly died and passed on their belongings) will probably have looked after it so I'm getting a bargain.

I like the fact that the Dyson sell lots of components separately so if you're missing one of the tools you can get a replacement.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've previously been a Miele person, but I bought a Dyson last tear and still enjoying it, especially the bag less bit. That suites me as I was always overfilling the bags previously to get the most out of each bag. I'm not completely convinced by the construction of the plastic hose, it does seem poorer quality than the previous Miele ones.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have a sebo for the house and Mr WD has a henry for his work shop. Both are good. Have had the sebo for about 4 years, the henry for 8 years.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
Dysons are good, and if you are comparing it with the rest of the (frankly very poor) market, then actually worth the double price tag when compared to Vax, Hoover, Electrolux et al.If you're going down the upright road from your local Argos or Currys, you wont go massively far wrong with one. Yes, they aren't quite the pinnacle of reliability but they'll 1/10 outlast said cheaper fair, have a 5 year guarantee as standard and the Dyson after Sales Service is actually very good. If money is a bit tight at the moment, pop into a second hand charity shop and pick up a second hand one, the odds are it'll still go, and as long as you haven't paid much over £50 for it, once a year at least Dyson run a money-off trade in through the retailers (normally just before new-model launch time), and the trade in value is often £50-£100, so - profit! I've had 5 Dysons in my past. None of them have ever "died", they've just assumed different jobs; the DC04 of late 90 vintage still runs, its just been relegated to the garage for car duty.

Having said allll that, if you were looking maybe at a cylinder vacuum and weren't to fussed with the bag/bagless thing, then +1billion for the Henry. Bombproof, almost literally. I've see them used - sans bag as well - to clean up a house after a remodel before, masonry dust, wood chippings, metal shavings, the works. its just swallowed the lot up and that red face just kept smiling. Absurd. Incidently, use without the bag isn't recommended, and neither is near industrial level cleaning, but it just goes to show their robustness.

Can't say a lot about Sebos personally, but I've known quite a few one-man-one-van contract cleaners down the years, and most will either say Numatic (Henry), or Sebo.

Top Bottom