Recommendations for a vacuum cleaner?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Henry for me at home and in the caravan.

Hotels like Henrys for two reasons which may appeal to a private buyer.

They are relatively quiet, so housekeeping can get started early without waking guests, and they have a long flex - good for long corridors.

I can do Pale Rider Towers - actually a ground floor flat - from one socket.

Same at the caravan.

alicat

Legendary Member
I've had a Sebo for over 20 years, still as good as the day I bought it!

Friends of mine have been raving about their Sebo since they got it.

I have a Dyson. It picks up well enough but I am bored with all the cylinder emptying and filter cleaning.

gbb

Legendary Member
No experience of Miele's, but ..
Dysons, weve had little else since the DC01, through DC07, 14 and another I cant remember. None have failed catastrophically and TBF, ours gets used at LEAST once a day, every day, withouy fail. Steer clear of the complex brush upright ones, hideous to repair.
Vax..I aquired two for our workshops and TBF the suction is awesome. Power4 and another older bigger similar one..both work well but the hoses kink.
Henry, the staple of commercial and office cleaners, good and solid, but not indestrctable. I have repaired a few retractable cords, the contacts go in the carousel...also replaced three motors over the years.
Sebo...we had one at a previous employer...good quality buti had to repair one once, cant remember what right now.
Samsung cylinder type, we had one for two years, just for upstairs. It was good, up to the point it started getting noisy, then smokey. Shame...just not durable enough to consider buying another one.
They all have a plus...and a minus.
Sebo was good, but not bagless.
Dyson are good IMO but expensive..although spares are readily available.
Vax are powerful but the hoses seem weak.
Henrys appear indestructible but the cord and motors dont last forever.
Samsung was light, easy to use...but didnt last in our house.

sazzaa

I've had two Dyson's in the past few years and they've both ended up in the skip. Henry's are great.

screenman

Legendary Member
Henry and a Miele is what is used here, so I am informed.

We have tried so many over the years I cannot list them all, none have lasted any where near as long as these two.

Henry.
Had the wet/dry version before I married. Wife didn't like it so it went in the garage and has been used there for for the last 20 years. Had allsorts including Dyson in the house since then and persuaded her to go back to a Henrietta about 5 years ago.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Dyson DC07 but it's had just about everything replaced under extended warranty. Probably going to cancel the warranty this year and buy a Vax, and decommission the Dyson to light duties (caravan).

classic33

Leg End Member
Forget the Henry/Hetty. Newer ones aren't as well made as the older ones.
Prone to break down, overheating and spare parts are dearer than they are for one of the better spec machines.
Go for one of the other Numatic vacs.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Another one for a Henry here. I got one in about '86 and managed to leave it behind when I moved house 3 years ago. It was still going strong and really sucked. Now I have a new Henry and he is as brilliant as the old one.

I had a Dyson and took it back to the shop the same afternoon as it blocked, blocked and blocked some more. The man in the shop (who said it was good for pet hair) said that it was my fault that the bloody Dyson blocked because I had a GSD. Never again.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The people who go in at the end of a construction project do a "Builder's Clean". It means sucking up an awful lot of plaster dust, shavings and other evil bits and bobs that test a vacuum cleaner. I have never seen any of those crews waving pastel-colour Dysons. They all seem to drag in battered Henrys, and they don't throw them into the skip at the end of the day.

Top Bottom