Recommendations for carbon road wheels with a high rider weight limit.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Have you tried to get Zip spares?
That's the point of the 302, spokes are standard length sapim race. The hub takes really accessible bearings.
Nothing is bespoke or zipp specific.. Unlike the more expensive zipp wheels, or mavic/fulcrum which can be a nightmare to source.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Oh, and that's a point, given Mavics current financial difficulties I'd think twice before buying any of their wheels.
Spares are already hard enough to come by, and that's before they go bust.

Milzy

Guru
My brother has some Bontrager carbon wheels with DT Swiss hubs coming in at around 1300 grams. He's about 15 stone but I'm assuming they'll be strong enough. I don't want to ask if they have a weight limit because he'll see it as ridicule rather than saving his life.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
My brother has some Bontrager carbon wheels with DT Swiss hubs coming in at around 1300 grams. He's about 15 stone but I'm assuming they'll be strong enough. I don't want to ask if they have a weight limit because he'll see it as ridicule rather than saving his life.
That's what I'm running now. Bontrager aoleus xxx 4. Weight limit is 120kg. Hot them as an upgrade on the new bike... Not exactly what I'd call cheap though.

Milzy

Guru
That's what I'm running now. Bontrager aoleus xxx 4. Weight limit is 120kg. Hot them as an upgrade on the new bike... Not exactly what I'd call cheap though.
Yeah that's them. They came on his second hand madone. Least they're safe.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
That's the point of the 302, spokes are standard length sapim race. The hub takes really accessible bearings.
Nothing is bespoke or zipp specific.. Unlike the more expensive zipp wheels, or mavic/fulcrum which can be a nightmare to source.
Never had a problem getting spokes or bearings for any wheels, Axle parts are harder to come by, Most bearing can be sourced through.
http://www.wychbearings.co.uk/bike_bearings.html

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Given the weight consideration I'd be thinking long and hard about whether I really wanted composite rims; especially if running rim brakes.

I'll just leave these here.. :whistle:

Top Bottom