Recommendations for chainsaw, budget around £200

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A couple more responses (there have been dozens, none of which support the original claim here):
So we can be pretty sure that the original claim:
is just flat out wrong (in the context of home machinery for DIY).

Oh dear, you have pedantically cherry picked a single sentence in an attempt save your face. Yep, admit, that sentence should have been extended to include the non applicability to pre-directive machinery, but hey ho, its a cycling forum and I dealt with that elsewhere in a sentence you chose not to quote.

MikeG

Guru
Oh dear, you have pedantically cherry picked a single sentence in an attempt save your face. Yep, admit, that sentence should have been extended to include the non applicability to pre-directive machinery, but hey ho, its a cycling forum and I dealt with that elsewhere in a sentence you chose not to quote.

I'm sorry. Save my face? You'll have to demonstrate that I said something incorrect before you can make that claim. Please, feel free to quote away, and explain what I got wrong.

Oh, and you still don't get it. Current modern (post directive) machinery in a domestic DIY environment doesn't have to meet any standards at all.

I'm sorry. Save my face? You'll have to demonstrate that I said something incorrect before you can make that claim. Please, feel free to quote away, and explain what I got wrong.

Oh, and you still don't get it. Current modern (post directive) machinery in a domestic DIY environment doesn't have to meet any standards at all.
Its all that stuff about post directive machinery not having to be compliant with the machinery directive in DIY contexts. I can see you are now entrenched in believing your own misinformation and possibly that of others, so I think we shall have do agree to disagree on that.

OK, lets clarify what is moot. Fundamentally, where we appear to differ, is that I believe that post directive machinery used in a non professional context is still in scope, and you do not. Is that a fair summary?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
@graham bowers is correct. Directive 2006/42/EC - the new machinery directive - applies to specified machinery in both work and domestic settings (unless they are covered by other Directives). This is made clear, for example, in paragraph 15 of the preamble to the Directive.

This means the Directive applies to machinery used for DIY.

Eighty pages of impenetrable prose, and that's just the preamble to some directive or other?

First thing the OP should do with his new chainsaw is chop up anything with 'EU' written on it.

No wonder the country wants out.

MikeG

Guru
OK, lets clarify what is moot. Fundamentally, where we appear to differ, is that I believe that post directive machinery used in a non professional context is still in scope, and you do not. Is that a fair summary?

Pretty much, given that you now accept your more extensive original claim was erroneous. I did say "DIY/ domestic situation", rather than "non-professional" (which would allow voluntary groups, charities, and so on into the argument. I don't believe that is your intention).

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Ok with all the helpful advice I am just off out to do my kindling, do you think chainsaws are like big cars?

8ec142af7fa0ef48e6bbe8da126b673d.jpg

Top Bottom