Recommendations for chainsaw, budget around £200

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldbloke

Guru
Requirements general garden stuff & cutting logs up to around 20 cms, petrol essential & relatively light for my arthritic hands!

So far have looked at: Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, Efco.

Thoughts please?

cheys03

Veteran
Consider a battery electric chainsaw. Battery driven saws are a real alternative these days, especially if weight is an issue. Light and capable. Around £200 is a good budget. If it can be increased I highly recommend this Makita from experience https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/392007754474

You’ll also need a charger and two batteries
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/232287601849

Total ~£285

Apologies if this is out of budget. I mention it as I’ve been so impressed by the saw. If you already have battery tools from Makita or another manufacturer you may be able to use those batteries on an equilivilent saw by that manufacturer which will bring the cost down. The opposite holds true if you’re likely to buy other battery tools in the future such as a drill, circular saw etc these batteries can been transferred and keep the cost down.

There are other advantages of electric over petrol besides weight - easy to use, instant start, no fumes, less noise etc

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
Requirements general garden stuff & cutting logs up to around 20 cms, petrol essential & relatively light for my arthritic hands!

Thoughts please?

Thoughts please?

Keep all limbs,cats,dogs children misses away from the business end.

Can't go wrong with Stihl, we use a 171 and 261's in one of my volunteer groups - although as I'm not yet trained, I just labour for the operators. I know people who use Huskies as well, both are good brands. No idea about the others you mention. The ones with "Ergostart" seem to be easier to start, possibly a factor depending on how bad the arthritis is and may become. 171 is a bit over budget. 170 is on budget but I haven't seen one in use.

Probably more important to have good dealer support in your area.

It is not without good reason the HSE have singled chainsaws out:
http://www.hse.gov.uk/treework/safety-topics/chainsaw-operator.htm

Recommended PPE is boots, trousers, gloves, hearing and eye protection.

For log cutting, I use an electric makita in a logmaster sawhorse makes the saw captive and has a blade guard, eliminating the possibility of kickback injuries. https://portek.co.uk/portfolio-item/logmaster-saw-horse/

+1 for Stihl.

If a 4ft 11 lady like me can heft one, then it should be fine. I have an MS 181C with a 14 inch bar. It's really well balanced and I can use it all day - which I do. I'm on solid fuel heating here and manage several acres of woodland, which means I use the saw. A lot.

Can't remember exactly how much I paid for it, as I PX'd it for one that was bought for me which I couldn't get on with (could never start it).

If going for petrol, then it's so worth spending a bit more and getting one with a quick start.

Was the reason for getting the Stihl. Quick start will probably tip you over budget, but it's far better than losing your cool with the saw and kicking it across the drive in frustration. DAMHIKT :whistle:

Do get safety goggles, gloves and good boots. Sturdy (and not loose) clothes should be fine.

Last edited:
I've got a stihl MS180 14 inch saw and its excellent. If you follow the starting procedure it will start every time. IIRC you will have to pick up a stihl from an authorised seller as I believe it is there policy to show you the safe use of the saw before you buy. although looking around thr web, I may be wrong.

Tin Pot

Guru
th?id=OIP.4_5vLyVQ6H92_JwL01iYSAAAAA&pid=1.jpg

snorri

Legendary Member
I thought I might have had to buy a powered saw:sad:.
I only use my bushman saw for sawing up wood I find on the beach, and odd bits discarded by rich people, then I pass it on to the aged and infirm for use as firewood. Yesterday I went along to my local tool supplier for a couple of spare blades and the assistant informed me they hadn't stocked such a thing for years.
Fortunately I found a more backward looking supplier not too far away:smile:.

I thought I might have had to buy a powered saw:sad:.
I only use my bushman saw for sawing up wood I find on the beach, and odd bits discarded by rich people, then I pass it on to the aged and infirm for use as firewood. Yesterday I went along to my local tool supplier for a couple of spare blades and the assistant informed me they hadn't stocked such a thing for years.
Fortunately I found a more backward looking supplier not too far away:smile:.

Oh, that's just an ordinary bow saw. Screwfix does them. And blades IIRC.

I have a small and a large bow saw, fine for small bits, but a chain saw really does take the pain out of cutting a LOT of firewood.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

Thoughts please?

Stihl MSA 120 battery powered at around £240. I cannot recommend this highly enough. Mine is two years old. Very lightweight and easy to handle. Will log anything up to 25cm easily. Zero maintenance apart from cleaning and chains. Battery working time is claimed as 20 minutes, I would say it’s 35. Keep in mi d 35 minutes continuous cutting is a lot. Most of the actual working time is moving logs, stacking etc. I usually get 3-4 hours working time from one charge. At 63 that’s long enough Everyone who has seen it work is very impressed.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur

Thoughts please?
As a woodman all my life, I would recommend you don’t get a chainsaw. Without training and safety gear, they’re potentially lethal. France has an even more relaxed view on home use of the things than UK. France has also a sensibly priced cordwood trade, so any saving on firewood will be minimal in my opinion. If you want a good saw for pruning and small logging, buy a Silky saw. The big Gomtaro is awesome, and, with careful handling and some skill can be used to log six inch timber.

Top Bottom