Recommendations for decent winter wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Merlin charge 10% for C2W - so £70 cash on top of a £700 bike, doesn’t seem fair!
That’s what it costs them though and it’s a budget bike with likely less margin/bikes sold than the big brands. How much are you saving using C2W after all ;)

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
You're seriously contemplating spending £730 on a commuting hack, plus an immediate change of wheelset??. I reckon you need a reality check, not new wheels!

You're choosing to make a massive issue about possibly having to fix a puncture. Most people who want reliability, just fit a set of Marathons and if they are really belt & braces, they might go for the nuclear option of M+ and inject some sealant into the inner tube.
not everyone wants to ride around on crap from a skip.......just cause you do

OP
OP
C

CentralCommuter

What’s the difference between a gravel bike and a tourer? Been looking at a Pinnacle:

Evans

Component wise, the Merlin is better spec, so what’s the selling points of a tourer?

vickster

Legendary Member
What’s the difference between a gravel bike and a tourer? Been looking at a Pinnacle:

Evans

Component wise, the Merlin is better spec, so what’s the selling points of a tourer?
That one, gearing (triple), shifters (bar end not STI), weight, 14kg although that includes guards and rack (which will be a heavy one I expect). It’s all steel as opposed to alu (but not a light grade). Geo will be different, you’d have to ride to see which suits you
Not sure if those are selling points for a commuter

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What's not to like about the Jamis Aurora? It's excellent value at the sale price. It's a fully kitted out all-weather bike with a decent rack and luggage straps so something like a rolled up carrier bag with clothing in could easily just be popped on the top.
Reynolds 520 double-butted is the modern day weldable equivalent of 501, and even the rear stays are butted cro-moly. They've thoughtfully included reinforcing collars on the head tube, in the absence of lugs, so the loads on the headset bearings won't splay the ends of the tube and loosen. If you look at the geometry chart you can see it will have stable and predictable handling and has a decently long wheelbase so the ride won't be choppy over poor surfaces. The wheels are 36H with stainless spokes so they will stand up to being out in the elements and aren't going to go out of true after the first bump they go over. Tyres are a sensible width at 32mm (although I would go for 35's) and are puncture-protected.
The weight at 30 lbs is right where you would expect it to be for a fully equipped bike with a butted steel frame. It isn't a "heavy" bike at all, that is perfectly normal and there are bikes with cheaper wheels and framesets out there that are at least a couple of pounds more. If I didn't own a Raleigh Royal, and I was in the market for a properly equipped distance riding bike, I would snap up one of those no question. It's also got a much wider range of gears than my Royal, although I have a marginally better frame, being 531.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
What's not to like about the Jamis Aurora? I's excellent value at the sale price. It's a fully kitted out all-weather bike with a decent rack and luggage straps so something like a rolled up carrier bag with clothing in could easily just be popped on the top.
Reynolds 520 double-butted is the modern day weldable equivalent of 501, and even the rear stays are butted cro-moly. They've thoughtfully included reinforcing collars on the head tube, in the absence of lugs, so the loads on the headset bearings won't splay the ends of the tube and loosen. If you look at the geometry chart you can see it will have stable and predictable handling and has a decently long wheelbase so the ride won't be choppy over poor surfaces. The wheels are 36H with stainless spokes so they will stand up to being out in the elements and aren't going to go out of true after the first bump they go over. Tyres are a sensible width at 32mm (although I would go for 35's) and are puncture-protected.
The weight at 30 lbs is right where you would expect it to be for a fully equipped bike with a butted steel frame. It isn't a "heavy" bike at all, that is perfectly normal and there are bikes with cheaper wheels and framesets out there that are at least a couple of pounds more. If I didn't own a Raleigh Royal, and I was in the market for a properly equipped distance riding bike, I would snap up one of those no question. It's also got a much wider range of gears than my Royal, although I have a marginally better frame, being 531.
He’s not linked to a Jamis? But a Pinnacle...

You mean this presumably https://www.evanscycles.com/jamis-aurora-2019-touring-bike-EV339179

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CentralCommuter

Do you know, the best thing about CycleChat is that when my wife refuses to listen to my increasingly boring chats about bikes, there are always (hopefully) people on here who will listen! (Although I suspect that number is reducing too!)

I was all but 100% on the Pinnacle Dacite as my next purchase for winter commuting. I figured I could use it for the long summer holidays too, packing up my bits and bobs and touring Scotland in all its glory!

Then I went out on my hybrid this morning - GT Traffic. It's got mudguards and a rack, and I carried my stuff in a pannier. I've also added those Ergo grips with bar ends. I've realised that it's actually quite comfortable and now I'm not sure what extra a tourer will bring to the party that will justify £700!

So I might be cancelling a second C2W voucher ...

Top Bottom