Recommendations for decent winter wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
There's a ton of bikes out there better than the triban and with better wheels that won't give you any headaches if you get a puncture.

It's worth mentioning that we're entering that time of the year where 2020 models will likely come out or at least be announced so I would expect discounts on the 2019 models.

Most 2020 models have been launched now so savings are already available. I picked up a 2019 frame recently with 60% discount of RRP

si_c

Guru
Just had a look at the specs and it says the tyres are Triban Resist + with a stiff bead - I'd suggest that's where your problem lies in terms of getting the tyres on and off as I'm assuming it's a wire beaded tyre. Try something like the Vittoria Zaffiro Pro with a folding bead - I've had no problems getting them on or off a rim as they are surprisingly supple for a commuter tyre.

Also learning how to best get a tyre off and on the wheel easily will help loads - don't just try to lever it off that's the hard way. Push the bead in from both sides all the way around and then starting by the valve stem push the beads together and down into the wheel bed holding the tension all the way to the opposite side of the rim which will give you an extra couple of mm and the tyre should just roll off easily.

Edit: Removed link, wrong video, can't find the right one.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Push the bead in from both sides all the way around and then starting by the valve stem push the beads together and down into the wheel bed holding the tension all the way to the opposite side of the rim
I remember a while ago we had a huge shism over whether you should start or finish with the valve.

I was originally a valve starter but I was swayed by the eloquent arguments of the other side and became a valve finisher.

Or perhaps it was the other way round.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I remember a while ago we had a huge shism over whether you should start or finish with the valve.

I was originally a valve starter but I was swayed by the eloquent arguments of the other side and became a valve finisher.

Or perhaps it was the other way round.

Unless you have a unicycle, you can start at the valve on one wheel and then finish at the valve on the other wheel. Remember to do it the other way round next time.

That way no one gets upset and it’s completely fair. Democracy fine tuned for you. In a roundabout way.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
105FBBEB-A2AD-49AC-9070-7D5FF7A45E37.jpeg

@CentralCommuter i would look at this Felt with Tiagra and Hydraulics, an extra £200 off at checkout so only £699, cheaper than the Triban!
https://www.merlincycles.com/felt-vr40-disc-road-bike-2018-146239.html

vickster

Legendary Member
Hallelujah finally!
If the X30 isn’t the right size (only large in stock), add £100 to your C2W voucher to get some TRP Spyres to replace the less good Lyras on the Malt

Or go for the Felt above, although it’s road with 28mm tyres rather than gravel (Malt has 35s)

Last edited:
Top Bottom