Recommendations for first SPD Pedals for beginners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Distorted Vision
That's what I meant!

steven1988

Veteran
M520 pedals are great. They come with M51 cleats which unclip by twisting your heel outwards (like nearly all cleats) - you can buy a set of M56 cleats which will pull out in any direction if that’s easier for you. I got M520s and M56s for my son and he finds them great to use. I’m using M520s and M51s and I love them.

I'm never telling you owt again, stealing all my advice hahahaha

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Forgot to add - if buying the M56 cleats from Halfords (or indeed anything from Halfords), check their website price as it could be cheaper than their in-store price.

In store, the M56 cleats were £20 while on the website they were £8. I mentioned this to the sales staff and they happily price matched for me.

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
Thanks everyone. I've order a pair of M520. This GCN video put me completely off road pedals mostly because I need to be able to walk normal and especially in winter walking on cleats does not sound fun.

I'm wondering what cleat the M520 come with. In the Tredz description it says M51 but the photo shows M56.

Shimano-M520-SPD-Clipless-MTB-Pedals-Full_1887_101_Supersize.jpg

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Shimano-M520-SPD-Clipless-MTB-Pedals_1887.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
Distorted Vision
What beginner shoe would you recommend using the M520 with the M56 cleats. I have some cheap Muddy Fox ones that I bought from Sports Direct when I first bought my Giant Roam. Wanted something better without breaking the bank. Was looking at Shimano M3 or XC61 and preferred the styling of the latter.

Your recommendations please!

vickster

Legendary Member
What beginner shoe would you recommend using the M520 with the M56 cleats. I have some cheap Muddy Fox ones that I bought from Sports Direct when I first bought my Giant Roam. Wanted something better without breaking the bank. Was looking at Shimano M3 or XC61 and preferred the styling of the latter.

Your recommendations please!
Ones that fit you properly. Muddy fox ones won't last but you might as well put the cleats on and see if they are comfortable on the bike

Shimano better, but be aware they come up small and on the narrow side (they do some models in a wider fit which still aren't that wide). Try on the ones you like, if you have to buy online, Evans, Wiggle or Chain Reaction do free returns

All the M520s I've bought have come with SH51 cleats (probably going on for 7 or 8 pairs). It's stamped on the cleat. I've only ever used 51s, tried 56s briefly but didn't like them as I'm used to 51s and never had an issue with the pedal tension on low

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Thanks everyone. I've order a pair of M520. This GCN video put me completely off road pedals mostly because I need to be able to walk normal and especially in winter walking on cleats does not sound fun.

I'm wondering what cleat the M520 come with. In the Tredz description it says M51 but the photo shows M56.

View attachment 449365

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Shimano-M520-SPD-Clipless-MTB-Pedals_1887.htm
My M520s came with SH51 cleats. I bought the SH56 cleats for my son separately.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have bought 4 sets of M520 pedals and they all came with standard cleats. I have never even seen multi-release cleats in real life (as opposed to in online or magazine articles) and never felt the need for them. It is incredibly easy to unclip standard cleats if you set your pedal release tension low and spend a few minutes getting used to unclipping.

I think the problem that some people have is that they don't reduce the tension settings, don't practice releasing, and don't think about it until the exact moment that they want to unclip for the first time. There is a sudden realisation that the foot doesn't just come off the pedal the way it would have done before switching to SPDs, panic, topple over, ouch ... :whistle:

It should only take a few minutes to get used to the slight rotation of the heel needed to unclip a foot.

vickster

Legendary Member
I can see the 56 cleats might be better if you have very bad ankles or knees which would not like the twisting to release but my dodgy joints manage ok. I think it just depends what you get used to

@Distorted Vision what cleats did your m324s come with

Top Bottom