Recommendations for first SPD Pedals for beginners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Distorted Vision
I like the look of the Shimano XM7 shoes as they are Goretex. But they are more expensive than I was hoping to spend. Shame they aren't a stock item at Evans as I'd like to try them on first. Think I'll have to just wear out the Muddy Fox's for the time being.

shimano-xm7-goretex-vibram-sole-touring-shoe-grey-EV260925-7000-1.jpg

bG9jYWw6Ly8vcHJvZHVjdC8yMTU5Mjk0XzQucG5n.jpg

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
Probikekit have a promotional code for clothes making them fall into my budget. I take a size 10 shoe and I know you always size up with Shimano but I'm wondering if I should get an EU 45 or 46.

Screenshot-2019-01-28-00.png

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Probikekit have a promotional code for clothes making them fall into my budget. I take a size 10 shoe and I know you always size up with Shimano but I'm wondering if I should get an EU 45 or 46.

View attachment 449460
The width of bike shoes bears no relationship to normal shoe sizes. I was faintly comfortable with a particular Shimano bike shoe width. The problem was that there was about 60mm of air between the end of my big toe and the end of the shoe. They design the shoes for complete freaks.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have always struggled with the width of Shimano shoes. If I sized up enough for the width then I'd have that same problem with the length!

It's a pity, because I quite like their shoes otherwise.

I gave my last pair to my cousin after a couple of painful rides.

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
They arrived and they fit perfectly! So comfortable as well. Pleasantly surprised and so glad as the price has shot up from £101.99 to £134.99 (excluding the discount).

2019-01-30-11.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
Are they on the wrong feet? :laugh:

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
I pretty sure they are not. I think it might be because my feet weren't flat on the floor and the angle I took the photo from. The right foot:

2019-01-30-12.jpg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I have always struggled with the width of Shimano shoes. If I sized up enough for the width then I'd have that same problem with the length!

It's a pity, because I quite like their shoes otherwise.

I gave my last pair to my cousin after a couple of painful rides.

Surprised, they have five different widths. You have to choose a model with the right width last for your feet.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Surprised, they have five different widths. You have to choose a model with the right width last for your feet.
Well, they are not making a big effort to advertise that fact! I have bought 2 or 3 pairs online over the years and there was never a width option, just overall size.

It is a bit of a pain to order multiple pairs of shoes to find one that fits. Yes, going to a shop and trying them on would help. I remember that business of going to real shops! I can't afford shop prices though and I don't think it is right to try on in the shop and then buy online.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Well, they are not making a big effort to advertise that fact! I have bought 2 or 3 pairs online over the years and there was never a width option, just overall size.

It is a bit of a pain to order multiple pairs of shoes to find one that fits. Yes, going to a shop and trying them on would help. I remember that business of going to real shops! I can't afford shop prices though and I don't think it is right to try on in the shop and then buy online.

Agree, only found out after we tried to get some for my wife who is new to clipless. LBS did not have a clue and it was only after we went online we found this out.

Top Bottom