Recommendations for floor pump for Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExBrit

Über Member
I have an excellent floor pump (Topeak JoeBlow) that does not work well with a Brompton because of the narrow space between spokes. The chuck simply won't fit between them. I have a crappy floor pump with a narrow chuck that fits just fine. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good floor pump with a chuck that fits between the Brompton spokes. Or maybe I can put the good chuck on the good pump? What do people use when pumping up the Brommie at home?

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
I use my electric car pump.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have an excellent floor pump (Topeak JoeBlow) that does not work well with a Brompton because of the narrow space between spokes. The chuck simply won't fit between them. I have a crappy floor pump with a narrow chuck that fits just fine. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good floor pump with a chuck that fits between the Brompton spokes. Or maybe I can put the good chuck on the good pump? What do people use when pumping up the Brommie at home?

Why don't you just swap the ends over?

That said my Lezyne seems fine for Brompton and proper bikes and can do either valve type, though now swapped to normal valves on the Brommie

Tenkaykev

Guru
That’s a coincidence. The people at Brilliant Bikes recently did a video about the Brompton pump on their YouTube channel. I asked the same question that you’ve just asked, their response was to say that they use a Topeak JoeBlow!
I use a Decathlon track pump and it’s a faff getting the head between the spokes as you said.

OP
OP
ExBrit

ExBrit

Über Member
I might be able to force the Topeak chuck in if I had a big enough hammer ^_^ I'm not convinced I need so many spokes anyway.

I just found the Parks PFP-8 floor pump that appears to have a narrow chuck. Anyone have any experience with this? I've always found Parks to be very high quality.

u_i

Über Member
You can put a new chuck on an old pump. Rather than buying a Lezyne pump, you can, e.g., buy a Lezyne ABS-1 Pro chuck. The best chucks are those by Hirame. They are expensive, but, if you are heavily into bikes, you begin to think like a bike shop - you want decent rather than cheap equipment. I swap my chucks using alu air couplers.

mitchibob

Über Member

Really? Which JoeBlow is it, because I've been tempted to get a JoeBlow Booster to make reseating tubeless easier, but that'd be a royal PITA if it's worse pumping for my Brommie tyres.

I currently have a Vandorm Legend VII pump (that I had already thought who to donate it to), which was cheap and OK, although find I often whack hand against nuts or forks or discs, pulling the thing off the valves when finished. Other than that, it's fine.

OP
OP
ExBrit

ExBrit

Über Member
Really? Which JoeBlow is it, because I've been tempted to get a JoeBlow Booster to make reseating tubeless easier, but that'd be a royal PITA if it's worse pumping for my Brommie tyres.

I currently have a Vandorm Legend VII pump (that I had already thought who to donate it to), which was cheap and OK, although find I often whack hand against nuts or forks or discs, pulling the thing off the valves when finished. Other than that, it's fine.

It's the Sport III. If you look at the chuck you can see it has the lever on the side which makes it wider than the gap between spokes. I think all the Joe Blows have this chuck. But I saw a segment about the booster on GCN and it definitely does not look Brompton friendly.

PS I just swapped the chucks and I think that's going to work for me. Thanks for the suggestion folks. I'll give it a try when it's not 106F outside.

mitchibob

Über Member
It's the Sport III. If you look at the chuck you can see it has the lever on the side which makes it wider than the gap between spokes. I think all the Joe Blows have this chuck. But I saw a segment about the booster on GCN and it definitely does not look Brompton friendly.

PS I just swapped the chucks and I think that's going to work for me. Thanks for the suggestion folks. I'll give it a try when it's not 106F outside.

Thanks for the info. Really useful! I'd not even considered that!

mitchibob

Über Member
Actually I was thinking the TubiHead was the Booster. I was mistaken. Booster might be OK. So many models, so few brain cells. 🧙‍♂️
Doesn't matter... wasn't something I'd even considered, so will look out for it just in case (although model I'm looking at looks just like I'm going to have similar hitting hand on nuts, etc), plus know a fix for it now too if it does turn up like yours :-). Thanks all!

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
I got an el cheapo floor pump from either Lidl or Aldi for a fiver. But it's rubbish. Cheaply made using very hard, brittle plastics and the head keeps coming off.

I bought it as a spare because it was just a fiver.

I'm guessing you have more trouble with the rear wheel as the spokes are crossed and there is less room, the front wheel is a lot easier as the spokes are radially laced.

Top Bottom